Open Box? (Polk R40)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_Sch, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Brent_Sch

Brent_Sch Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking at some decent HT speakers and CC has some open box Polk R40 speakers fro $280 and I can't decide between those and some JBL N-38 speakers from JBL.

If they're open box items what exactly does it mean? Could they have been used for a year and then returned or are they just returned because somebody didn't like them or got them as a gift and demoed them but didn't want them? Also, if you buy open box items at CC does their speaker upgrade within a year policy still apply to those as well?

Thanks for your help!

2. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

I bet I am the only guy to respond that actually has a pair of R40s. They work really well for me. I think they have a very clear sound and ample bass. You can check my equipment list to see what I have them connected to.

As you know, talking against JBL is heresy. People will die for their NSP1 setup. Especially Phil Iteralld (sp?). But these are some things to consider.

The R40 is a slim tall speaker with a very small footprint. Instead of using an 8" it uses two 5 1/4" drivers along with a silk dome tweeter. If you like the sound of the silk domes then I think you will enjoy the R40s.

I would give them a demo and ask about returns. As far as the speaker trade-in goes, I bet you could. Also, I would say the open box models are just returns, they do have the full warranty. I would closely inspect them though to be sure.

Good luck and let me know how what you decide.

Jon

3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Open box means... they are used- they may have been demos, they may have been traded in...or they may have just been returned.. I would ask for the bottom line price on them. 280 is realy not that great on the pair...usualy can come close to that on sale- I'd ask them to talk to the manager and see how long they have been there--cause the less expensive they will be...

I have bought many open box items and have not had any issues... I know I have traded up my stuff..and they sold as open box items...

BTW...you get the full warranty with the open box item too. not pro-rated. I just picked up a velodyne ct100 open box for 199$ and comes with full warranty. Look at them, listen , any scratches etc... talk them down..

btw..the RT40's are a very nice speaker...but in reality..for the same price...I'd go with the rt35's... they are on sale for 149 each..or get the rt25's for 109.. all great speakers..just some options from a Polk user

4. Brent_Sch

Brent_Sch Stunt Coordinator

Does anybody know if the CC speaker trade-in program applies to just pairs of front speakers or if it would work with the center channels and subs as well. I might just buy some lower end speakers now while I get started into this HT stuff and then in a year put more money out for a good pair of speakers. I realize the speakers would have to be from Circuit City but they have quite a few I like but don't want to put the cash out for them now. If I buy a Center will they trade-it-in in a year as well?

5. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

speakers is speaker is speakers...My cc does not care... You can trade subs up for center and surrounds... basicaly..your getting credit..as long as you spend more on your upgrade in speakers...they do not care...at least mine does not

6. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona