What's new

open box Onkyo (1 Viewer)

Bry_DD

Second Unit
i was at a local Fry's elec this afternoon and saw an open box silver Onkyo 805 for $449. no box no manual just the receiver and remote for that price. same manufacture warranty as a new one and have a 30 day money back to fry's. anyone here bought and open box receiver before? anyone opinion is appreciated. thanks

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is the microphone included? The mics used for Audyssey are calibrated specifically for that model.

That is a great price.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It is a great price but I'd bet an open box item at Fry's has led a hard life. No telling how long it was on the shelf or demo room, idling. And Fry's does get a lot of foot traffic. I'm sure many, many people have had their hands on it. I'd check the condition very carefully. Some of their stuff on the shelves look pretty bad. If it was anywhere but Fry's. Just too many customers wondering around. This would be one time I might at least consider an extended warranty.

But I have seen some tremendous open box deals at Fry's. A couple of Polk LSi15's in excellent condition for $381 apiece, a $2000 Onkyo SP-1000 dvd player for $349 (but it was a little ruff), and several rptv's at great prices. But again, probably led hard live's.

On the other hand, I bought an open box H/K 520 for $299 at Circuit City about 6 years ago and it's been in everyday use since I've had it with no problems. But it was never hooked up while on the shelf (the power cord was still shrink wrapped), was in as-new condition and came with all accessories.

Bry_DD

Second Unit
welp, as much as i like this receiver i'm not gonna get it instead i might get the 705. fry's has that receiver new in a box for $375. what do you guys think? it'll be hook up to a 52 mitsu lcd, samsung 1400, pioneer dvd sacd/dvd-a, Wii, and dish 211 and it'll run axiom m60, vp150 and b&w lm1 on rears and rear center.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have the 705 and the Axiom M60 and VP150. Sounds great in my small - mid size room (with my SVS sub). The 705 doesn't run as hot, so that is a plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks