What's new

Open box items, would you buy one? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,

I know that buying open box/display models when it come to display devices is generally a risky proposition, but I'm curious whether the same applies to DVD players and receivers. I would figure out what it went through beforehand and why it was retuned or whatever, but what should one look out for. The reason I ask is that at my local Best Buy/Magnolia I noticed some nice Denon and Sony open box DVD players for a nice price, and am considering upgrading in the not-to-distant future.

Thanks for you advice,
Jeremy

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've bought a number of open box receivers and amps and have never had any problems with them. As long as you get the full warranty, you should be all set. For DVD players, I would not buy an inexpensive (

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Same here, I have bought 2 televisions, one DVD player and a couple of computer components...all with no problems whatsoever.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Remember, an open box item is a gamble only if the warranty is out of date, but most stores do apply the same warranty as if the item was unopened and in the box. Unless the DVD player is a higher end model and significantly discounted I probably wouldn't buy it. The DVD player I bought was in the 200+ range and got it for around 160 bucks so I thought it a good buy; plus it came with the original warranty and it has served me well for over a year now with no problems.

TomCW

Second Unit
I have bought CD and SACD players, a subwoofer and a satellite receiver as open boxes. I had to return the cd player, but since it was from Crutchfield, there was no problem. The other stuff has worked great. Just be sure you can return it if there are difficulties.

Tom

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
As long as it comes with a full warranty, there are no obvious signs of damage and the OB discount is good enough, sure. It's a good way to stretch your audio/HT dollars, IMO.

One thing you might want to make sure of is that you can get a cash (or CC) refund if there's a problem with the unit. No store credits, please.

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
I have bought 2 amps, an integrated amp, and a tuner used as demos. Never had trouble with any of them. Personaly I would shy away from cd and dvd players, only because the amount of moving parts.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I would just ask my regular salesperson what the story is on the product. Get the best price and toss on a warranty for less money then a new one or close to it.
The warranty covers you for anything for long periods of time.

AllanR

Auditioning
I have purchased many open box items and have had great luck with them. If you're dealing with a reputable firm, it has a full warranty and the price is right, then it can turn out to be a very good deal. The majority of demos and returns are actually used very little. The only thing I would stay away from would possibly be a TV as they are often running 12 hours a day or however long the store is open for. Plus many demo TV's are set with the brightness and contrast cranked up to enhance the picture. The discount would have to be pretty big for a TV as it's life may have been reduced considerably if it's been a demo for very long.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
circuit city offers same as new warranty for open box. alot of my stuff is open box and I have never had a problem with anything I have bought. not to mention huge savings while being able to talk down price. you can neg with cc too.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I normally stay away from open box items. However, when shopping for my first digital surround receiver, I was given the option of buying one receiver model I was interested in or a model higher up in the line but in an open box.

The salesperson assured me that it was only opened but not used. As added incentive, he offered to give it to me for a little less than I would have paid if it was new. I went for it. I also bought an extended warranty at a reasonable price.

A week later, thanks to the store's pricing guarantee, the store's flyer was advertising the model I bought at an even lower price, so I was able to get a nice refund on the (substantial) difference.

The warranty has long since passed and the receiver is still working as well as the first time I used it.

In spite of my positive experience, I think I would continue to avoid open box items as I believe it was mostly luck that my receiver was good as unopened and especially lucky that I was able to get a refund on a price difference.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I got my Onkyo reciever for half of the new one. they were clearing out the new ones but I still got the demo for half that.

it pays to buy demo.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

Oh no! :frowning:

IMO you should only buy open box items at a substantial discount. It has to be notably lower than the best sale price I have ever seen on that particular item. If you pay anywhere near the regular price then you might as well have purchased a new, in-box product. Remember, the only reason to buy an open box item is to save money or to get a better quality model than you could have otherwise afforded.

In the end, you paid the regular sale price for an open box item, and then got talked into the extended warranty, to boot. You could have purchased a new, in-box product and wound up paying the same price. No offense, but I'm afraid the sales person took you to the cleaner's. :frowning:

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Thank you for your concern, Dan. That is good advice regarding open box items; I was a newbie at the time and it would appear thought that the discount offered was fair.

In this case, I bought it in the box; the box was opened but the receiver was never taken out (human error apparently opened the box; I was more impulsive and trusting then ;)). I didn't feel cheated at all especially considering that I was lucky enough to get a nice refund and haven't had a single problem with the receiver since I bought it.

Of course, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought the extended warranty.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I've bought all kinds of stuff open box. My first ever DVD player was a Toshiba SD-2006. In case you don't remember, that was the very first DVD player ever sold in the US by Toshiba. I bought it open box at Best Buy in the fall of 1997 when DVD was still just a months old format. The new SD2107 was the replacement, a 1.5 gen DVD machine. It's still working just fine in my brothers' bedroom.

I've got lots of open box stuff over the years. I recommend it.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
taken to the cleaners?

thats a bit harsh dont you think ? considering open box items have the same warranty as a new item I dont see how saving any money even if a little and getting the same warranty would be considered taken to the cleaners.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I buy open box items all the time if the price is right. Warrenty is typially the same and normally if you talk nicely you can get them to toss in a free extended warrenty just in case. So far I've yet to have a single problem with any of the open boxed items I've picked up. Obviously caveat emptor applies but that doesn't mean there aren't amazing deals to be had.

Jeremy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Open box and refurbs are where it's at. You can get much better components than your budget would normally allow. Like most people have mentioned, just make sure you get a pretty decent discount and that you have a good warranty.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik

I hope it works out for you.

This episode reinforces my original answer near the top of this thread, which is: I never go for used or especially open boxed or floor model items.

Too risky, too much margin of error for hassle. If you know how to shop around at ALL, even 100 percent legit, you can get new items for the prices some of you probably thinking are such great deals on used or opened box items.

Take a look at some of the sales on NEW items places like One Call or Vanns are having right now. Countless examples of legit dealers like that out there.

I just bought a NEW HK 635 AVR for $818. The MSRP is $1299. From a 100 percent legit dealer. No tax, either. You really can't do much better than that, imho.

I just don't see any incentive to go below that line when I can get new hardware that easily and for those kinds of great prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks