What's new

Open box HDTVs-any drawbacks? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
I have just about decided on hdtv and Ultimate Electronics has an open box KV34HS510. It comes with the sama warranty as a new set minus the manual and the box. Are there any things that I should consider before purchasing an open box item? Thanks.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Why is it open box?

How much are you saving?

Personally, if the price is not at a great discount, I would put the money where my mouth is and pay to have a brand new tv.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Maybe check it out completely.

If the picture qulaity is good, I don't see to much issue with it.

I purchased a Factory Refurbed Philips recently, saved about $500 and I am extremely happy with it.

(Display models, probably are not the best of ideas though)
But the discount comming into play is still the main thing.

This is an expensive set....

$1200 or $1300 for it, would make it real tempting for sure.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Extremely happy with both, and the experience with the Vendor, and Philips (Who shipped it to me directly, so I ended up getting free shipping on the thing even)

www.electronicsalley.com

They only sell factory refurbished Philips products.

Philips HDTV's don't get to much consideration here. But are probably the best of the "more bargain" brands out there. IMHO as always of course.

A few Toshiba and Hitachi owners that have come over for the NFL games in HD, sure seem to give the set high praise too by the way. :)

MikeLH

Auditioning
I bought a customer returned Hitachi 50" LCD back in November that in store was excellent until I got home and noticed a problem. I returned that set and traded for another returned set and although in the store the picture was flawless, when the set is first turned on, it had a major problem until the set warmed up enough for the problem to disappear (which took up to 3 hours!) Neither problem was the fault of Hitachi, in the first case I believe the set had been damaged and in the second case, Circuit City (gave superb customer service by the way)did fix the problem after I had returned the set. However,I finally ending up buying a brand new Sony 50" LCD and have had no problems. Personally, I would not buy any more "customer returns". However, I feel that buying a refurbished set would be okay because in theory it has been thoroughly checked out. You just need to be very careful and make sure that wherever you buy the set, they have a strong return policy. Hope this helps. Mike

DannyZ

Auditioning
I got a Sony 61HS30 from the Sony factory store (Lake Elsinore, CA). It was refurbished by the factory before it was sold because if failed some test coming off the line. I got the same warranty as new, and saved about $1000!

Find out is the set was a floor model or returned, and why. If you don’t trust the answer, get a new set.

Danny

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Thanks to all for your great advice. I will find out some more info if I can. All they could tell me for now was that it was either a return or a display model. They said they would have to get it sent over from another store so I have not actually seen the Sony set yet. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks