Open air or closed audio racks and why ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Oct 27, 2001.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Open air or closed audio racks and why ?...I'm in the market for a new audio rack and I'm undecided on which type to get.

2. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

If you plan on owning separates in the future, go with a no side rack. Perform a search, keyword rack(that should generate some interesting comments)and you will see several other members who asked the same question.
    I own a Sanus rack myself. www.audioadvisor.com

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I can think of two reasons to go with open air - airflow/heat dissipation, and no reflective glass surfaces to mess up the sound.

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

One other advantage of open racks is that some of the models are expandable. For instance mine (I don't remember the brand) came with four shelves and I've added two matching shelves on type.
    So in addition to heat dissipation you get flexibility.

5. Neil N

Neil N Stunt Coordinator

Speaking of flexibility, a home built flexy rack can combine the best of open air design, flexibility, and cost. I plan to build one for my next rack, at least.

6. FrankC

FrankC Agent

I'm partial to the open air kind as well, for the reasons already given.
    I use the Salamander Synergy and have been very happy with it. Now that I've taken my first step towards separates with the purchase of 3 Le Amp monoblocks, I'm very pleased that the Synergy rack is expandable -- because I need the space!
    --f

7. GregJ

GregJ Agent

I like the open type not only for ventilation but also because it's easier to deal with the wiring. Open racks are helpful if you have equipment of different sizes from various manufactures.
    Greg

8. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

9. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Because I went to a store and said "Ooh, I like that one." and bought it. Then I went back to the store and said "I bought a rack here a while back and I don't remember the brand, but I need another shelf." And the guy said, "Oh, do you have this one?" and I said "Yes." and he said "Here you go."
    Well I managed to track it down. Its made by Paradigm Electronics. I thought that's what it was, but it just didn't seem right to me.