What's new

Oops, Steve Jobs has a new slide to add to his Keynote Presentation (1 Viewer)

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I wonder if this counts as confirmation. This has been rumored for weeks now, but the only thing never known for sure was capacity and price. I can't imagine a 4GB ipod (which is about what this sounds like) for $100 (is that how much it would be in dollars?).

If it's true, I'll get one the first day they are out. I just bought my wife a 10GB for Christmas and I love it. If I take her songs out I bet I have around 500, so this would be perfect. Then, by the time that one is full, I can give it to my son and buy a larger capacity one. I was looking at getting another 10GB for myself, but if this is indeed $100 I'd spring for it.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Wow, if they can get a small capacity iPod out there for $100 USD, people will be ALL OVER it...

"weighs less than two compact discs"
:eek: Two CDs without the cases? Thats like, NOTHING.. maybe he meant with cases

I'd spend $100USD on a small-capacity iPod...

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
This report started on a rumor site that said something to the effect that "a mini iPod is being shown around to vendors". It was picked up by other sites and eventually got into the mainstream media. It has been repeated so often that it has taken a life of its' own. Personally I doubt $99 is doable for a hard drive based player. $149 would be more like it I believe. On Tuesday Jan 6, 9 AM Pacific Time SJ will keynote MacWorld San Francisco and we'll know if its true.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
At $99 I'd have to suspect they are switching their model to losing money on the hardware to make it back on iTunes. Even at $149, I'm a bit skeptical.

I'll certainly buy one at either price. Like many audiophiles and geeks, I'd load it up with non-DRM MP3s instead of AAC.

Actually an audiophile would either use uncompressed AIFF or a high bit rate AAC. AAC != DRM you know. And geeks would most likely use Ogg Vorbis and not buy the iPod in the first place. :)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
1.5-2gig iPod for $99 would be music to my ears :) That'd fit about 15-25 of my mp3 albums, which is more than I'd ever need to have with me.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, it's supposed to be a secret until the expo keynote. The rumors are almost always a good deal off and everyone is expected to become upset after learning they can't buy a Quad G8 10GHz with a 70" LCD. ;)

Lately, they've gotten out and people have paid the price like the former Apple Webmaster that mistakingly put up the G5, specs, and prices up by accident during a trial store run.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

It's pretty sad (and a low blow) that you would scoff at me for saying that I believed a $99 iPod would be a money loser, then you turn around and (sloppily) justify a $129 iPod.

Making up an arbitrary $35 just doesn't cut it. Please provide a cost breakdown for the entire unit (hard drive, battery, electronics, housing, packaging), add in distribution and retail markups, and include costs for marketing, r&d, and support (including warranty). Then you'll be able to prove to us that $99 iPods will be profitable for Apple.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. The new Ipods are not lower capacity and they're not $99. Read the article in the post above mine.

John Fortt is known in IT circles as a moron. He's been so consistenty wrong with his "predictions" that him denying it usually means it's a lock.

Hardly. It's more like you just simply don't understand things. Your (inane) assertion that Apple would now be losing money on the iPod to make it up in iTunes purchases borders on moronic. And my so-called justification was nothing of the sort, it was perfectly grounded. The drive I alluded to is being sold now and would fit perfectly within the rumored specs and the rumored price. Just because you seem to be incapable of understanding cost based economics and the economy of scale principle, don't falsely assume that we all do.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Roland all the information I have says you and everyone else claiming the existence of this new low cost low capacity Ipod are incorrect. I even double checked with my source after these stories surfaced and I was told again these rumors are false. Given the nature of how the information is obtained it would be very unlikely to be wrong. I'm afraid I can't go into any more detail.

Btw, how come the other people using the cornish HD can't get their prouduct to a $99-129 pricepoint? Apple's never been one to be cheap. FYI the Rio Nitrus is $219 with a 1.5 gig cornish HD.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Don't really understand why Apple upsets so many people--my engineer friend hates them, but my buddy who's an artist loves them. And on the pro audio forums I've read Apples seem to be much more popular for creating music.

Is there a FAQ somewhere that details the specific differences between PCs and Macs?

Personally speaking, I like Apples--they're more......friendly. :emoji_thumbsup:

runs away............

LJ

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Roland, I'm not sure why you feel the need to be so hostile in your post; this sort of behaviour is not looked upon kindly here.

If you disagree with another member's opinions, then express your disagreement with the opinion, do not attack the member. You're on dangerous ground at the moment.

Adam Barratt
HTF Administrator

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Apple doesn't upset me in the slightest. Actually, AAPL was one the only two tech stocks (EBAY the other) that I had in 2001, and I made a killing. I actually willingly, eagerly, and voluntarily developed software for the Lisa back in the mid 80s as part of an independent study project in college (development in a GUI environment was not part of the standard curriculum).

I'm not anti-Apple at all. I just don't worship them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks