Oops, I flinched. Let's shoot that scene again (OR NOT)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy LaMont, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Enjoying Dracula (Superbit) tonight and I happened to notice that when Prince Vlad returns to see his mistress dead. When he walks up to Elisabeta and she flinches several times (although she is supposed to be dead).

How can you not see that in the dailies or in editing? I would have reshot that scene. You?

Anyone else notice this type of obvious mistakes in any movies?

Troy

2. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    I just watched The Way To Eden (the hippy episode of Star Trek) and when Charles Napier's character is found dead, his fingers near the top of the screen move a little.

Neil

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Yeah, there's an infamous scene in Terminator (1) that is along those lines, during the police station attack.

4. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

David,

What's the specifics on that T1 scene? I don't think I've ever seen that one.

Thanks.

Troy

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The most famous example is in North by Northwest, when Eva Marie Saint "shoots" Cary Grant. There's a kid who covers his ears before the gun shot.
    M.

6. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    Take a look at Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan near the end when Khan embraces his fallen comrade Joachim. Notice how this dead person's eyes, open and staring, flick shut as soon as Richardo Montalban's giant pecs threaten to blind him with their protruding mass during the embrace.

7. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Whenever a person is dead on the screen I watch them like a hawk, looking for even the slightest movement. I have no control over doing this, it must be instinctual. I think a lot of people do the same thing when a dead body is on the screen which is why directors really need to check these things during filming & editing.

I recently watched a T.V. show or film, I forget which, which had a dead body where the eyes were rolling under the lids. I thought that the movie/director was giving out a subtle hint that the person was really not dead. But it turned out that he really was dead so it was just a case of bad filming. That really threw me off.

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Ever played a corpse on stage? It is very difficult. You forget how many involuntary movements and adjustments you constantly make until you have to stay perfectly still for an extended period.

As for these things getting into the final product - you shoot every scene a couple of times for either TV or movies (more times for movies.) You pick the best take you can get, for visuals, for performance, for a host of reasons. If the best take happens to have a twitching corpse in the background, you hope the audience's eyes will be glued to the performance of the actor playing the living character, and that they'll be so caught up in the story they won't be looking around for minor flaws like these. Because unless you are looking for them (or at least at them, because you've seen the film five times and you're getting bored with a particular scene) the filmmakers are right - you'll hardly ever notice them.

Reshooting an emotional scene for a movie (and most scenes with dead bodies lying around tend to be emotional, except in action and slasher flicks) is risky. It costs money, and you don't know if the actors are going to improve on the slightly-flawed take you've already got. Reshoots on TV projects for something like this are almost out of the question. There simply isn't the money.

Regards,

Joe

9. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

There's a moment in Blow when you can clearly see a member of the crew moving around behind in a pilar in Johnny Depp's kitchen. Its AS PLAIN AS DAY! I can't believe nobody noticed at any stage of post-production. If they did, which they must have, why the hell didn't they re-shoot it, or just remove it digitally. Marred an otherwise crappy movie! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Then there is an example in Die hard which has been pointed out on this forum a lot of times. When the first terrorist is killed and McClane sends him down the elevator, watch the guys eyes as Rickman reaches out and touches the guys head.

11. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

In the godfather part 2 when tom Hagen is in the hotel room with Senator Geary and the dead girl, just before a camera angel change, the girl takes a deep breath. The breath moves the sheets and moves her torso accordingly..

-D

12. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Come ON, guys, moving after death is a fine old acting tradition. Dates back to Greek theater.

Although none did it as well as Shakespere; from the "Oh, he has killed me, mother!" line to twenty minute 'post death' speeches....

13. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

In an episode of Police Squad, the episode where Frank and his partner (Peter Lupus) are undercover at a key store, Peter Lupus flynches when the store is machine gunned (though he was supposed to not notice).
    Reminds me that Police Squad needs to be on DVD!

14. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

Hillary Swank takes a big breath after her characted dies in Boys Don't Cry.

15. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

16. William_L

William_L Extra

I know there were a couple of those type scenes in T2, but the only one I remember right now is when that semi-truck crashes off the bridge while chasing the kid on the motorbike, and the windshield pops out, but in the next scene, the windshield is magically back in the truck [​IMG]

17. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

william..that scene in T2..i think that was simply the T1000 morphing into the shape of the windshield. Nah..doesnt sound too reasonable after all.Nevermind.[​IMG]
    there is a scene in one of the halloween movies (its part one or 2 i can't remember which--2 i think) where a girl is beeing rolled out to the ambulance and before they put the cover over her head you can see her eyes moving-they're closed but she is supposed to be dead.

18. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

19. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

20. David Ki

David Ki Agent

I remember during X-files season 1 (I think the shape shifter episode where the thing goes through air vents) Sculy and Mulder sit down in front for a TV, yet in the reflection of the Tv you see a whole bunch of different people.