OOP titles...wait or pay?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Aaron_H, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Aaron_H

Aaron_H Agent

Aaron
    I have been considering buying the 2 disc set of "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and trying to get a copy of "Little Shop of Horrors" (w/ the alternate ending). Does anyone know if there's a chance in the future we will see a reissue of the "Rocky Horror" 2 disc set or if we'll somehow see a version of "Little Shop" w/ the alternate ending again? I don't know the whole story on why Little Shop was pulled...

I guess I want to know...should I cough up the dough and get these titles used or wait it out to see if they're reissued?

Thanks!

2. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

I seriously doubt we will see another release of Little Shop of Horrors with the alternate ending. The current release is nicely done, and if I were you, I would go ahead and buy it.

3. Aaron_H

Aaron_H Agent

Aaron
    What was the reason the alt ending was pulled from the DVD?

4. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    I remember when this title was pulled and I should have picked up a copy before it disappeared. Geffen didn't give permission for the use of the deleted footage thus the special edition including the alternate ending was pulled.

Note that the alternate ending (filmed in black and white) was actually the same as the ending of the off-broadway musical where plants wreck havoc and Audrey II ate up Seymour. I guess the morbid ending didn't go over well with the test screening so changes were made to fit the more upbeat film.

Regards,
    Michael

5. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

Actually, the alternate ending was not "filmed" in black and white, but that was the only print that Frank Oz had available to him for the DVD release. Reportedly (From our own Ron E), David Geffen has the alternate ending in full color, and if he had merely been asked and buttered up a bit, rather than releasing the DVD bonus footage without his consent, we might have a supercool, seamless branching version now.

This is one of those few DVDs that I will not part with, and even though I paid a ridiculous price for it, it is worth every penny.

Mark

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    oddly enough for me anyway, i was never a big fan of LSOH.
    when it came out i was in a local tower rercords and actually had a copy of this in my hands, looked at it and said, "nah!".

later that day i found out about the recall and was kicking myself.
    ilater picked it up,here from someone for $50.
    and i'm glad i did.

since fox is releasing all the other 2 dvd sets with new numbering i wouldnt be surprised if rocky horror will get this type of release too.

7. Jonathan Dagmar

Just wanted to add, after doing a little bit of searching, that I am also intereste to know the status of the two disc Rocky Horror. I can't find it anywhere, and really want it.

Do you think it will be re-released? What features are missing on the single disc version?

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

I nabbed the original copy of Little Shop
    of Horrors
    upon its initial release.

I consider it to be the prize of my entire collection.

Despite the fact it's only in B&W, that alternate
    ending is really a gem. I really wish that Geffen
    hadn't put up such a fuss about its inclusion and
    that perhaps a future reissue with the COLOR ending
    included will be a possibility.

As far as Rocky Horror is concerned....

Didn't Fox just reissue this as a SINGLE version?

If this is the case, I highly doubt that they will
    revisit the film again. Fox seems to be downsizing
    their Special Editions these days.

Did find some USED copies for sale:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...376422-8503032

9. Jonathan Dagmar

I just hate buying used DVDs, you never know how banged up the dics/ and or the packaging might be....

10. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Back in 98 or so,I picked up pricey versions of Platoon and Re-Animator off ebay. They were about $60-80 each, but to me it was worth it since I love both films.

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I had been looking for the OOP 2-disc Patton for quite a long time. Finally purchased a used copy from someone here and now see it included in the Fox War Classics set with Tora, Tora, Tora, Thin Red Line & The Longest Day. Three other movies I don't own! [​IMG]

Oh well.

12. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

my copy of Patton only sold for about $11 on ebay last month.
    had it up for about a week and there didn't seem to be much interest in it.

i've got a copy of Rocky Horror that i think about selling every once in a while, since i haven't had any great urge to watch it since buying it about 3 yrs ago.
    the only thing that gives me pause (besides watching Currys performance again) is the fact that the packaging and supplementals for the film are so damned nice.
    it's a gorgeous slipcased glossy digipak, and though i suspect that Fox will eventually re-release the SE of uber-midnight movie again eventually, i don't know if it would have the same packaging.

and even though content is more importent, this is one classy looking set.

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    check blockbusters new dvd section.
    the one i work at has several ov the oop fox 2 disk versions including abyss. i know a couple weeks ago we had a rocky horror. dont think we do anymore tho'.[​IMG]

14. Jonathan Dagmar

Paul_Scott: If you ever do decide to sell, let me know..

15. Aaron_H

Aaron_H Agent

Aaron
    To anyone who purchased the orginal release of Little Shop of Horrors (with the alt ending):

Can you remember if the DVD had the security stickers around the case when you bought it(the ones that say 'security device enclosed)? I wasn't around for DVD in the early days so I don't know if DVDs always had those stickers.

The reason I ask is someone is selling a supposedly brand new sealed copy of LSOH with the alt ending on ebay and the pic they have for it doesn't show the security stickers anywhere.

16. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I'm surprised someone hasn't put the footage of the original ending online. As for Rocky Horror, Fox has expressed disappointment in its sales, so I dunno if we'll ever see the 2 disc set again.

On most titles I want that go OOP, I usually wait a good while to see if they will come back. Case in point, 2 years ago I sold a copy of "They Live" on eBay for $75 plus shipping. Today you can go to Wal-Mart and find it for $10. I still kinda feel bad to the guy I sold it to when I see it.

17. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

Aaron-

I got my new LSOH (the original with alt ending) copy off of eBay a few years back and the only sticker was the one that goes over the top part pf the snapper with the title on the top. The other "Security" stickers were placed long after 1998, IIRC.

Rafael.

18. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Quick question:

Did the SE of Little Shop Of Horrors w/ the alternate ending also contain the exact same features and supplementals as the current Warners version or were there any additions made to the re-issue?

I'm curious because if in fact, both versions contain the exact same features, I obviously want the more complete edition with the alternate ending sequence.

I just don't want to pay a handfull of money for an OOP disc with less to offer, save for the ending...

Thanks!

PS: Is there any chance of WB revisiting the DVD in future?

19. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

?

20. Jonathan Dagmar

As far as I know, both disc have the same features, minus the ending.

I think you'll be paying a lot more than a "handfull" of money for the old disc though.

One differecne, if I remeber corrrectly, is that the old disc was a single layer doube sided release, while the new version is a single sided double layered disc.