ooopsies, knock knock from neighbours!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Everett A, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Everett A

Everett A Agent

Just got my 20-39 CS with Samson s700 a week ago, and after living in my condo for 4 years (had a Paradigm pdr 10 for most of that time), just got my first "complaint" from a neighbour!

I was playing some Dave Matthews Band and Sting today, and then just popped in Barenaked Ladies (pretty bass heavy).

got the knock knock on the door... had a bad feeling..

The guy was totally nice about it though. He said that he's worked around it the best he could, he works at home on his phd.

During the day I might listen to music a little higher volume when I figure people are out at work. He mentioned that this is when sometimes it carries over.

But I guess with the svs, it literally shakes his mirror and heater like nothing else. I felt quite bad about this, but he mentioned that he used to set up stereos in another job and that he knows how standing waves and sound waves can sometimes be 50 ft long, and although it may be reasonable in my suite, it could shake things down everywhere around us.

So I asked if he could come over tonight and we'll experiment with placement and see how it goes. Again, he's quite a nice guy. Hopefully we can find something that works ok.

Wish me luck!

all in all, a kind of cool funny way to get to know the neighbours.

2. Everett A

Everett A Agent

Seriously though, would moving the sub to the common wall that we share make this better or worse? Right now it's near the opposite wall from the fellow. Luckily, ours is a corner suite so I think he's the only one affected (other than possibly people up or down from us..)

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I would think that putting the sub right next to the wall you share with your neighbor would make things worse. After all, the close you are to the source of the sound, the louder it will be. Put up against that wall, and he'll hear it better than he ever did before.

4. Everett A

Everett A Agent

Omigosh. So I invited the neighbour and his wife over to visit tonight to play around with my svs placement.
    It turns out that not only are they super nice people, but he's in the audio equipment field! He's very technically adept, and his company produces high-end audio electronics like pre-amps, amps, and power line conditioners. So he came in and checked out where I had the sub, and explained that the corner was maybe not the best spot for it due to creation of standing waves and cancelled bass.
    We tried playing some of my music again to see how it sounded in their suite, and when we went there, he showed me his stereo system.
    His speakers were built as lab speakers by his company, using KEF drivers in a custom, transmission line designed cabinet. He had sound absorbing bass tubes in his room corners. The speakers were massive! The pre-amp was a 2-piece unit that costs $8000! His cables looked thicker than fire hoses (maybe I'm exagerrating a bit).
    He was excited about demoing a few cd's for me, and I was excited to listen.
    I was very very spoiled by the sound, even though the room was far too small to do the system justice.
    Anyway, he then came back over and we moved my svs several feet over so it was by the middle of the back wall rather than the corner. He brought his Stereophile test cd with a frequency sweep. We discovered that in the new location, I was getting sound down to 20hz whereas in the old location, it rolled off at 50hz (which I had no idea of before). He let me know that the more bass I got, the less that would transmit to his suite, so it's a win-win situation.
    We listened to some more stuff, and it was definitely cleaner and a little stronger down low.
    Their whole visit (which I thought might take 20 minutes or so) lasted 2 and a half hours, and it flew by and was a lot of fun!
    So at this point, we're making arrangements to go to dinner together at the local Thai restaurant, and we've got some great new friends (who are looking forward to coming over for some movie nights).
    I can't imagine a better ending to a neighbour's complaint..
    [​IMG]

5. Donald Shrum

Donald Shrum Stunt Coordinator

Awsome story!!! Lucky!!

6. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

Not that I condone this, but wife swapping might have rated way up there.

Anyone seen that new minivan commercial where the guy A asks if they want to swap. Guy B says "you're into that". (camera shot to seductive wife B) Guy A says, "oh sure, we'll bring the kids" Guy B says "kids?" and then Guy A and his family hop in Guy B's minivan. Its a witty commerical. More innuendo than US television is used to.

Jon

7. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

Hey Everett, how much do you want for your condo? Neighbours included of course. [​IMG]

8. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Everett, so he didn't use a subwoofer with his system (I assume his speakers were full range)? If so, how did the bass on his system compare to yours? I'm sure it's an unfair comparison, but I was just wondering.

9. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I don't really have neighbors (the next house over is 100 yds from mine), but if I did I'd want `em to be like yours. To think, if they would have been like a typical pair and simply report you to the management or police, or even just ignore your sub, you'd miss out on getting to meet and know some awesome people. Listen, learn, and share.

10. Everett A

Everett A Agent

Well, the room he has his system in is tiny. So as he says, his system is just one giant pair of headphones right now! [​IMG]
    He said that the speakers are rated down to 17 hz. But the stuff he played for me was very soft, sensitive type music like acoustic jazz, soft singing etc.
    He played it at a low volume, but it was incredible how clear, real, and open (big soundstage) it sounded.
    One thing he did play for bass was a piece with a stand-up string bass, lots of fast notes. Everything sounded like it was live in the room, just not very loud.
    when a string instrument played, you could literally hear the exact detail of the string (ie. you know how the strings have a rough feel to them? You can hear as the bow strikes each tiny groove in the string).
    Just amazing.
    He said that the speakers need a much much bigger room to operate properly, and I'm sure they would have produced nice bass if we had that setup.
    I'm sure the electronics were at least half-responsible for the quality of sound though. I couldn't believe how there was absolutely no hiss or noise, and it was like you were standing in the recording studio.

11. Everett A

Everett A Agent

Jerry, it was somewhere on this or another forum that gave me the idea to invite them over and get them involved. That and also when he mentioned that he has some experience with audio stuff.

So if anyone else gets something like this coming up, invite them over to check out the stuff and work together to find a reasonable solution.

I also found out when they are usually out (Friday and Saturday nights) so I could have friends over for "movie nights" and crank things up, even though they said that would be ok anyways even if they were home.

Thanks all!

12. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Heck dude, invite the neighbors over for movie night. The guy, at least, sounds like he'd probably get into that.
    I tried inviting my neighbors (though they live quite some distance), and they just looked at me funny and declined. Damn freaks. [​IMG]

13. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator