onyko receiver and proficient speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by greg_mc, Dec 17, 2003.

1. greg_mc

greg_mc Extra

Just building a dedicated home theatre in 20x12 space and need a sounding board for my potential purchase. Thinking about Onyko NR900 receiver 7.1, Onyko DV-SP800 progressive scan DVD player or Onkyo DV-CP701 DVD player, and Proficient speakers (2-W800, 2-C650 (surround), and 1-CC525 (Center).

Questions:
    1. Does the receiver and speaker combo sound like a good match?
    2. Do I need a so-called center channel speaker or can I use an additional C650 speaker mouted above the screen and use as the center channel speaker?
    3. Which DVD player is better for the money...CP701 or SP800?
    4. Where can I get Acoustic Smart soundproofing goods?
    5. Will 7 speakers (additional 2-W800) be overkill for a room this size...20x12?

Thanks for you input.

Cheers,
    Greg

2. Simon S

Simon S Auditioning

Hi There,

I can't answer you specific questions but I can tel you that I have just installed 2 of the Proficient W850 in wall and the IW550 and I and very pleased with the sound. These are really good quality speakers and it shows from the minute you open the package to the time you start enjoying the music. incidentally, I was previously using a SONY stereo with freestanding speakers with 2 10" woofers in each, and the profiecient sound as good as the the SONY. I also bought the C850 for the rear speakers but have not installed yet (maybe this weekend) .

If you haven't purchased them yet, check out outdoorspeakerdepot.com talk with dave and you would be amazed that you can get the speakers for nearly half what others are selling them for. Service is good and they shipped everything immediately (except for the SUB which took 2 weeks)

I also have an Onkyo HT-SR573 purchased from Crutchfield. Also quite please with it and the cool thing is that they provided a free Onkyo iPod dock station for free. Not sure if that special is still on

Good luck

3. Sean Mullin

Sean Mullin Agent

Hey Greg... I cannot give you much info on those speakers.. BUT I can maybe help you with some prices on the reciever..

How much are you paying for the reciever?? and why did you select that specific model??

found (at UBid) Onkyo TX-NR901 for 699 + ship (refurb) or (at pricesrite.com) 988.50 shipped

or I would actually suggest (at Abes of Maine) the Onkyo TX-SR603X (90wpc) 440. shipped

or (at Abes of Maine) for THX and a lil more power Onkyo TX-SR703 (100wpc) 639.50 shipped

4. John Matt

John Matt Auditioning

The Onkyo TX-SR703B is available at J&R Music's website (check Google, this site won't allow URLs to be posted) for $599 with free shipping. The listed price is $799 but click on "See my price" and the real price is revealed. They are an authorized Onkyo dealer, so the manufacturers warranty will also be in effect.