Onscreen logos burning in...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Kennedy, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy Auditioning

Is this still a problem even if the station is constantly showing commercials ie: every 10-15 minutes? I would think that going to commercial, with the logo disappearing, would lower the possibility of burn-in. Is this true?

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

i dont think so........ the thing with the burn in is that it happens a little at a time EVERY time, so that would definitely slow it but may not stop it.

I will add though that my friend has a 43" sony and we play HOURS and hours at a time with various video games, ive enver seen a sign of burn in, and some of those games have big static icons.

I think alot of ppl worry about burn in too much, but you still have to be aware of it, thats what counts.

3. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

If calibrated with VE or avia, or at least contrast turned down to sub 45-50 levels, you should not worry about burn in too much. Keeping contrast low will severly slow it down, almost to a crawl.

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Or you could go with a DLP or LCD set as I believe neither of them suffer from the dreaded burn in issues.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, with the white and black levels reduced way low, burn-in is slowed. Vary your programming mix as often as possible, and try avoiding stations with those damn station-bug logos (a near impossibility these days, unfortunately). And, of course, you could always make DVD your primary signal source! (Watch "television" on a secondary set, if practical.)

6. Mark.D

Mark.D Agent

Here's a dumb question... eventually I'm going to go with a front projector... obviously, those images wont be burned into fabric screen.

BUT, what about the projector itself? I have no idea what the internals of a front projector entail... is it possible for an image to be burned in somewhere in the projector itself?

M.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If it's a CRT-based projector, then, yes, burn-in occurs (on the phosphors coating the inside of the CRT lenses).

8. Arthur W

Arthur W Auditioning

Hey Jack,
    What about LCDfront projectors? Any problems with burn in on those? I use an Eiki LC-XM1 in my home theatre and I have often wondered if those annoying station logos could "burn in" to the LCD pannels of the projector.
    - Chuck

9. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

DAMN the Sniper and CNNs BREAKING NEWS even if it does not harm the TV it sure burns me.
    BTW my friend has a Mits 46805, has had since the day that model hit the streets, he leaves it on almost 24 hrs a day , no cable, no sat., no OTA, only uses it to play widescreen movies, black bars all the time. Today over 3 years later not a trace of burn lines. I remember ruining good TVs with "Pong" didn't take long either.
    I try to avoid "logos" etc but anymore if you watch comercial television they are a fact of life, I have heard 911 ruined a lot of TVs, notice the "crawl" at the bottom of the screen, I like news but I am really tired of this crap. . .

10. Jeff_M

Jeff_M Stunt Coordinator

Arthur W,
    Digital projectors such as LCD and DLP are not succeptible to burn-in. So go ahead and leave that test pattern on all night (assuming you're not concerned with bulb life).