Onlyo TX-DS 797 Dolby Dropout...Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Mays, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Yes mine did it after I said many times on this forum that it didn't.

I was watching JP III on DVD and I finially had to stop as I could not take the drop outs. It never did it on Direct TV which is where I thought people also experienced the problem.

Who has had this corrected. I do have an Onkyo 2 year warrenty and purchased the CC extended warrenty. CC tells me thatthe factory will cover this and they will have to send it off for repair.

How long will this take? Will I be without? OHHH MY GOD!!! How will I get by....will I have to spend time with the WIFE!!!

Help [​IMG] .

Phil

2. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Matthew,

When I went into all the different options (PL II, Neo:6, THX, Theater Dimensional-7, and all the others) the dropouts were still present.

Are you saying this is a DVD problem and not the Onkyo?

When I aclled CC they said they new about it and they could send it to the factory to replace a chip that will correct the problem.

3. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

Phil,

CC use to have a loaner program with their extended warrantees. If the unit was to take over 2 weeks, they would give out a loaner. Just don't expect it to be at the same level a machine as your 797, but I would make the attempt. I don't have anymore warrantees with CC, so don't know if that is still the policy.

JohnS

4. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Onkyo will replace the chipset to cure the dropout; you will have to send it to an authorized service center (and, I am assuming you purchased it from an authorized dealer).

From the Onkyo website (www.onkyousa, then go to Customer Support, FAQs for Receivers):

Q. I am experiencing audio (Sound) dropouts when watching a Dolby Digital broadcast from my Satellite or Cable Box that is connected to my receiver with the digital optical or the coax connection.
    A. We have been working with Dolby Laboratories on a repair for the Dolby Digital broadcast issue that occurs with digital cable systems as well as digital satellite broadcast. We are aware of the issues that have affected our receivers with the newer version of broadcast encoding that Dolby Laboratories has been using. We have since had success with a new version of chipset that we have installed in each of the receiver models that have been affected. The models that are found to have the problems are the TX-DS595, TX-DS696, TX-DS797 and the TX-DS898. If you own one of these units while using any form of Dolby Laboratories Digital broadcast and are experiencing the audio dropouts and would like to have the issue resolved, please check our website for your nearest authorized service location. Take the unit to them with your bill of sale, at that point please call us at 800-229-1687 and select option 2 for our product support team. We will assist having the unit repaired for you.

5. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

6. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

I had my Onkyo TX-DS898 repaired under warranty at Audio Clinic in Silver Spring, Maryland for the Dolby Digital dropout problem. The repair is described as Q702 DSP Board; IC part number 22241458R3898. The repair was completed 15 days after I delivered the receiver.

Before the repair I experienced Dolby Digital audio dropouts with the Jurassic Park III DVD and the WLIW HDTV production Visions of Italy: Southern Style broadcast on Maryland Public Television channel 42. Both programs play without dropouts now.

The problem involves the Cirrus Logic 49300 chip sets and has been reported in the following receivers and processors: Denon AVR-1602, AVR-1802; Integra DTR-5.2, DTR-6.2, DTR-7.2 and DTR-8.2; Intetra Research RDC-7; Kenwood VR-510, KRFX-9050D; Lexicon MC-12; Onkyo TX-DS595, TX-DS696,TX-DS797, TX-DS898, TX-DS989, and TX-L5; Outlaw Audio 1050.

7. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Thanks for the info guys. I will contact CC to see about a loaner. I guess I could make it for a few weeks with out the unit.

We do have a Denon system setup in the bedroom all leftovers from my original system. Perhaps I can talk my wife into TV there for a few weeks [​IMG] .

8. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Well I spoke with CC today. They said they would send it off and if it takes longer than 2 weeks then they will give a loaner out at that time.[​IMG] I guess that's fair but it always hurts more when it happens to you[​IMG]