What's new

Only TWO movies eligible for Best Make-Up Oscar! (and you'll never guess which 2!) (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
More info here:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...r_makeup_oscar

And here:

http://www.dailydigest.net/stupidquestion

So is it me, or do different branches of the Academy have to step in shit EVERY year? Usually it's the music branch, but this new debacle takes the freakin' cake.

Imagine you're a hard-working make-up artist on Star Trek: Nemesis and you find out you're ineligible for a nomination because, what.... Paramount didn't send out enough SCREENERS???? You're in the f***ing ACADEMY! GO SEE THE GODDAM MOVIES!

And LOTR got overlooked because it's part of a trilogy?? I didn't just watch three hours of all-new footage with several brand new characters? Dourif's makeup wasn't good enough??? Hill's????

Uch, I digress. I'm gettin' riled.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Thats ridiculous, LOTR had the best make-up of the year, I dont think anyone would doubt that. BTW - Nemesis had horrible makeup, just horrible. Looked like a Halloween mask. Oh, and why didnt they nominate Blade 2. That would have been my 2nd choice behind LOTR.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
My heart goes out to Michael Westmore for being overlooked for Nemesis. What a shame, and what a cruel act of negligence on the part of Paramount and AMPAS.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
My heart goes out to Michael Westmore for being overlooked for Nemesis. What a shame, and what a cruel act of negligence on the part of Paramount and AMPAS.
Your kiddin right? Nemesis had some of the most horrid make-up Ive ever seen. Very dull. It didnt even move, didnt look real at all.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
The Academy does something retarded. News at 11.

Not a surprise in the least. They had to screw something up.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
This is the most ridiculous thing, and quite telling about how freaking moronic the Oscars are as a whole:

The costumes for Chicago got tossed because voters felt "its hair and makeup did not accurately reflect its period," the same fate that befell Gangs of New York (whereas we're left to assume Moulin Rouge was a painstaking recreation of France in the early 1900s, given its nomination in the category last year).

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Are academy Members allowed to write in a choice when they actually vote, if they'd like to honor an unnominated film they feel was overlooked? if so what are the chances of lots of academy members writing in The hours or lord of the Rings?

Adam

Colin-H

Second Unit
To be fair, Chicago’s nonfantasy scenes did attempt to be realistic. Moulin Rouge threw reality off the observation deck of the Sears Tower.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I have watched neither movie that has been nominated, my vote would have gone for TTT or Gangs of New York

:D

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I woulda thought that Nicole Kidman's prosthetic schnoz in The Hours would've gotten a nomination. People can't seem to shut up about that one.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The Academy must be stopped! These new rules are just plain ridiculous! And what ever happened to the nomination for Planet of the Apes last year? It sure as hell had better and more extensive makeup than the mustache appliances in Moulin Rogue. It's all ridiculous.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Next on Fox...When the Academy Attacks!

See voting gone rampant!
See illogical decision making on the edge!
See ferocious snubbing of worthy filmmakers!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The thing about The Hours was that Nicole's fake nose was only one of three pretty damn impressive makeup jobs in that film - the other two being Ed Harris's AIDS makeup, and the old age makeup on
Julianne Moore
, which was better IMO than the Oscar-nominated old age makeup in A Beautiful Mind last year. It's a shame a technicality (digital touchup of the nose) means all this great work doesn't even have a chance to be recognized.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I'll just say that I can understand Frida getting a nom. I thought the make-up rendering was outstanding.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks