What's new

Only Two major Sherlock Holmes films missing on DVD (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by PatH
Okay, let me piss everybody off. I want whoever owns the rights to remaster and OAR Without A Clue. I love Sherlock Holmes but this comedic take on the character was hilarious. John Watson Crime Doctor indeed!

Nor am I willing to accept anything and everything about Holmes movies, I hated Young Sherlock Holmes as a Holmes movie and consider the Sasha Baron Cohen--Will Farrell project (if it ever comes to fruition) a travesty sight unseen.

PatH
it was an Orion Pictures release so it now falls into the MGM vault. It might be a long time before they do anything with it, but with the new Holmes picture coming out at Christmas 2011, then there is a slight chance that MGM/Fox might do a Blu-ray in the fall. Here's to hoping.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Tim Haxton
Any news on Sherlock Holmes in New York? I'd really like to pick that one up.
Well it was a TV movie made by Fox, so the thought of it actually being released is pretty nil. Fox just is not doing anything and especially with TV movies. We can only hope that they wake up and do a release in when the new Downey movie is released at Christmas 2011.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by ahollis
it was an Orion Pictures release so it now falls into the MGM vault. It might be a long time before they do anything with it, but with the new Holmes picture coming out at Christmas 2011, then there is a slight chance that MGM/Fox might do a Blu-ray in the fall. Here's to hoping.
Well, I hope they don't forget they own the rights to the Hammer Hound of the Baskervilles, too. I'd love to have that in Blu-ray.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by MattH.
Well, I hope they don't forget they own the rights to the Hammer Hound of the Baskervilles, too. I'd love to have that in Blu-ray.

It certainly looks nice in HD!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'd even settle for an anamorphic DVD - even the UK edition is plain letterbox. But Blu would be great.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
ahollis said:

Well it was a TV movie made by Fox, so the thought of it actually being released is pretty nil.  Fox just is not doing anything and especially with TV movies.  We can only hope that they wake up and do a release in when the new Downey movie is released at Christmas 2011.

Roger Moore recorded a commentary for Sherlock Holmes in New York.
There is no further info on his site about a release though.
http://roger-moore.com/articles/sir-roger-moore-replies-for-febuary-2012/

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Charlotte Rampling is in Sherlock Holmes In New York. I'd better get the Australian edition. Hate the 4% PAL speedup but it has Roger Moore doing a commentary, and Charlotte is no woman to walk away from ...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Richard--W said:
Charlotte Rampling is in Sherlock Holmes In New York. I'd better get the Australian edition. Hate the 4% PAL speedup but it has Roger Moore doing a commentary, and Charlotte is no woman to walk away from ...
I would like to pick it up as well. I've never seen the film, but would like to.
I really think it's a title that should be out in the US and UK.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Osato /t/281517/only-two-major-sherlock-holmes-films-missing-on-dvd/30#post_3967465
I would like to pick it up as well. I've never seen the film, but would like to.
I really think it's a title that should be out in the US and UK.

I agree. I think it's one of the few mainstream Sherlock Holmes films I've never seen, and I would certainly love to see it.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Don't expect a theatrical feature. Sherlock Holmes In New York is strictly a made-for-tv movie. A little more elaborate in its period street scenes than most made-for-tv movies. Roger Moore is miscast but completely charming as Holmes. John Huston does a nice turn as Professor Moriarity. And then there's Charlotte ....

mark-edk

Second Unit
Re the elaborate street sets: don't know if it's true but I recall reading somewhere that they re-used the sets from Hello, Dolly.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Richard--W said:
Don't expect a theatrical feature. Sherlock Holmes In New York is strictly a made-for-tv movie. A little more elaborate in its period street scenes than most made-for-tv movies. Roger Moore is miscast but completely charming as Holmes. John Huston does a nice turn as Professor Moriarity. And then there's Charlotte ....
Thanks for the info! Again, I would really like to pick it up. I did know it was a tv movie. I'm fine with that.
It would be great to see a DVD / blu ray release of the film in the US.
It is a bit odd that it hasn't been issued on DVD. Especially with Roger Moore playing the lead. Plus with all of the newer Sherlock Holmes films and tv series that have been going recently..

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
It's not really surprising that Sherlock Holmes In New York is unavailable to home video. Few made-for-tv movies are. Respected and acclaimed classics with excellent ratings like My Sweet Charlie (Universal / NBC, 1970), Night Slaves (Crosby / ABC, 1970), Soul Survivor (CBS 1970), The Brotherhood of the Bell (CBS, 1970), The U.F.O Incident (Universal / NBC, 1975), The Night That Panicked America (Paramount / ABC, 1975) and The Legend of Lizzie Borden (Paramount / ABC, 1976), among countless others, have not appeared on DVD either. The network / studios seem oblivious to the demand.
mark-edk said:
Re the elaborate street sets: don't know if it's true but I recall reading somewhere that they re-used the sets from Hello, Dolly.
Now that you mention it the location does resemble the street in Hello Dolly. There are a few location shots, but no telefilm could afford to close NYC streets and redress them for period so extensively.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Although not strictly a Sherlock Holmes film, I would like to get reacquainted with They Might Be Giants (Universal, 1971). George C. Scott plays a judge in New York City who has lost his mind and thinks he's Holmes. Joanne Woodward plays his psychiatrist, Dr. Watson. When he sets out to find Dr. Moriarity, she has to go, too. An eccentric and poignant romance written by playwright James Goldman and scored by John Barry. Anchor Bay released a DVD at the outset of the medium, oop now and selling for insane prices. Everyone who sees this film is completely charmed by it.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks