What's new

Only Two major Sherlock Holmes films missing on DVD (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I am very much interested in a release of Sherlock Holmes in New York. Would love to have this one on DVD. I've never been able to see it. I know it has been shown from time to time on cable though.

Is there any possibility of it's release?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I recorded A Study In Terror on the TCM marathon this past week and was kind of disappointed. It's not such a good film. What I really wish is that the studio would put effort towards reconstructing the directors cut of Billy Wilder's Sherlock Holmes film!

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I saw Murder by Decree sitting at Barnes and Noble recently while Chistmas shopping. I was not familiar with this one. what is everyone's tak on it?

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Albert_M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw Murder by Decree sitting at Barnes and Noble recently while Chistmas shopping. I was not familiar with this one. what is everyone's tak on it?
It's a reasonably well done melding of the Holmes/Ripper storylines. Frankly, of the two film attempts to pair the characters, I found this one to be the more interesting.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I like the casting in A Study in Terror of Holmes and Watson more than in Murder by Decree. Production values are better in the latter, but it's also more gruesome and graphic.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti /forum/thread/281517/only-two-major-sherlock-holmes-films-missing-on-dvd#post_3643455
I recorded A Study In Terror on the TCM marathon this past week and was kind of disappointed. It's not such a good film. What I really wish is that the studio would put effort towards reconstructing the directors cut of Billy Wilder's Sherlock Holmes film!
THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES has been restored insofar as it can be and released, in a supplemented edition with missing footage, by MGM. The DVD is fairly cheap and easily obtained.
I enjoy A STUDY IN TERROR for the Victorian potboiler that it is. The film is full of good ideas and it has a good script. The actors are a refreshing change. Everyone obviously read the short stories to inform their performances. I wish John Neville, Donald Houston, and Robert Morley had appeared together in several more Holmes adventures just like this one. In contrast, MURDER BY DECREE is more literate and refined, and elaborately produced. It is a superior mystery / suspense / thriller and perhaps the best non-Canonical Sherlock Holmes film. I do wish it was less gorey, however.
If you like Sherlock Holmes, A STUDY IN TERROR and MURDER BY DECREE are essential.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
A STUDY IN TERROR could be called A STUDY IN CLEAVAGE; I think Judi Dench is the only proper lady in the cast. Still it's the most upscale film on producer Herman Cohen's resume (TROG, CRAZE, BERSERK, etc.) and I like it. The wrap-up is a real cheat, though; how did Holmes escape the flames that were swirling around him?

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
Regarding THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, this incredible film continues to suffer humiliations dating from it's initial release to the present. They started, of course, with the roadhshow version being cut dramatically prior to widespread release. Later, any attempts at reconstruction were thwarted by missing optical and audio materials. Most recently, the DVD release, while desired for an improved transfer, also suffered unfortunate manipulation. The hilarious female nudity that was present during the shipboard adventure, and that was present on the laserdisc release, was removed from the DVD release. So very sad. Glad I kept my laserdisc.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The brief nudity was cut from the outtake on the DVD?
Are you kidding?
I haven't watched the supplements on the DVD because I remember them so well from the laser-disc, which I still have.
What a cheat.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill /forum/thread/281517/only-two-major-sherlock-holmes-films-missing-on-dvd#post_3644120
The wrap-up is a real cheat, though; how did Holmes escape the flames that were swirling around him?
Uh, how about a spoiler warning next time? Don't always assume that everyone here has seen every movie.

Sten F

Second Unit
Study in Terror was supposed to be released on DVD Region 1 November 2009... what happened?

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Originally Posted by Sten F /forum/thread/281517/only-two-major-sherlock-holmes-films-missing-on-dvd/30#post_3645306
Study in Terror was supposed to be released on DVD Region 1 November 2009... what happened?
Only someone from Sony can tell but as far as I know the November was never confirmed officially.
Maybe it'll be released when Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes is getting its home video release.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I recently saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie and loved every frame of it. I am really looking forward to that one on blu ray. I also heard that Downey has signed on for a sequel!!! Hopefully it's out in 2010.

Any news on Sherlock Holmes In New York coming to DVD or blu ray? I really would like to get that one.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Warner is releasing a Charlton Heston as Sherlock TV movie The Crucifer of Blood on March 30.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
I keep hoping that, now that March 30th is the street date for the Downey version, Sony will finally shove 'A Study in Terror' out the door that day as well. It IS still up for pre-order on Amazon.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
So I guess no more news on any of the Sherlock Holmes films coming out. It would be nice to pick up Sherlock Holmes In New York on DVD or blu ray.

I really enjoyed the new Sherlock Holmes film! Looking forward to the sequel.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I kept hoping Sony will put this out. It's gonna cost me about $23.00 shipped to get the PAL letterboxed edition, and at this late stage I suppose I'll go ahead and do it.

Consarnit!

PatH

Second Unit
Okay, let me piss everybody off. I want whoever owns the rights to remaster and OAR Without A Clue. I love Sherlock Holmes but this comedic take on the character was hilarious. John Watson Crime Doctor indeed!

Nor am I willing to accept anything and everything about Holmes movies, I hated Young Sherlock Holmes as a Holmes movie and consider the Sasha Baron Cohen--Will Farrell project (if it ever comes to fruition) a travesty sight unseen.

PatH

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any news on Sherlock Holmes in New York? I'd really like to pick that one up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks