only getting 2 channel stereo signal no DTS

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JesseBro, Jan 6, 2004.

1. JesseBro

JesseBro Stunt Coordinator

i just recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V440 and have a Hitachi DVD with a digital coax DTS output. i have tried numerous DTS encoded movies and the receiver only picks up a prologic or neo6 signal which are only 2 channels. i only have the left and right speaker indicators lit up on my receiver even though i hear sound from all 5 speakers.... im just guessing its splitting the 2 channel stereo into the 5 speakers. anyway, i dont know why this is happening, it seems like i have all my connections correct.

2. JesseBro

does my dvd player have to be changed in the audio options menu to play in DTS or DD??? b/c i dont have a remote for my DVD player and no universal remote will work with it for me to change options.... im wondering if this is my problem?

3. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Need to set digital output to bitsteam in the DVD players setup menu. Need the remote to do this.

4. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

You need:

1) A digital cable connection, analog RCA L/R pair will not work.

2) A receiver that can decode DTS. Most can, but not all.

3) In the DVD player's setup, you need to enable digital/bitstream output and possibly enable DTS output.

4) You need a disc with DTS soundtracks on it! Don't laugh, I've seen people try to get DTS out of discs that don't have it...

5) In the DVD disc's setup menu (look under "Languages" or "Audio setup" or such from the main disc menu) you need to switch to the DTS track. DTS discs (ALL, I believe) do not default to DTS output, but rather Dolby 2.0, for compatibility reasons.

5. JesseBro

guess its time for a new DVD player then...... any suggestions CHEAP! im a college student and just dumped my money into the receiver and tv!

heres a couple pictures of what i picked up... best buy had a good deal on a 32" Sharp C231 with free stand (that just happened to match the TV and fit my speakers perfectly) for $350. i couldnt afford an HDtv, but this had the compression that allows for 16:9 mode and also had component inputs. so this will get me by for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JesseBro

i just got the yamaha receiver b/c my old receiver didnt have DTS or DD decoders, so i know this one does hahaha. the DVDs that i was playing definately had DTS encoded soundtracks.... im using part of a component video cable as my digital output so that should handle it.... so i guess all thats left is to change the options in the movie setup, which i cant do without a remote

and i have 4 universal remotes and none of them work with the DVD player. would a learning remote work? or isnt it worth it... i can get a new dvd player for the cost of one of those remotes

7. JohnSmith

Put your left/right speaker further apart.

8. JesseBro

dont have any room.... radiant heat to the left

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

Just to be clear, you need to do this in the DVD PLAYER'S setup, not the discs themselves.

A learning remote won't do you any good if it doesn't already have the codes for the functions you need. You need to teach a learning remote. What you might be able to do is look for another Hitachi, even a different model, in a store and see if they will let you program the codes to enter the menu, or get a new player.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

is this a current unit? what some people have done is buy a learning remote, then go to a store and use the display model's remote to program the learning one.

people come into best buy to do this all the time. why don't most players default to bitstream? is there some reason it's always set to pcm?

11. JohnSmith

Yeah good question. Every player I've used is set to PCM by default. How many times have you seen "Playing 5.1 DVD's, but only getting Pro-Logic"

My Sony player has all buttons on the front panel to allow DVD setup plus navigation. A god send. Pioneer has nothing, if you loose the remote you're stuffed.

When I replace my player it must have setup & menu navigation on the front panel.

12. JesseBro

thats what i thought.... i found an original remote on ebay for my DVD player.... so i might pick that up... otherwise ill get a new DVD player

thanks for all the help

13. John Garcia

John
    When I picked up my Denon 2200, it was the first player in 6 yrs I've encountered that had both DTS and bitstream ON. [​IMG]

If the remote doesn't cost too much on e-bay, I'd go for it, since you run the risk of losing the codes again if your programmable remote has a problem.

14. JasonMA

JasonMA Stunt Coordinator

Almost all DVD players come with PCM as the default output because a vast majority of the DVD players purchased are not connected to a surround sound setup, whether it be an old pro-logic recevier or a DD/DTS receiver. Most people just buy a DVD player and just hook it up to their TV's and use the TV speakers for sound. It's sad, but true. Not everyone is a home theater enthusiasts you know. And for the most part, these people would have a very hard time trying to figure out how to switch from PCM to bitstream, therefore the default is set to what most consumers will use, PCM.

15. John Garcia

John
    PCM is digital. This has nothing to do with the analog connections that will be used when hooking directly to a TV.

PCM is on because not all receivers are capable of DTS, but all digital receivers can handle PCM.

16. JesseBro

just an update.... i got the remote control for the DVD, i set everything to DTS and the receiver picked up on the signal!!! WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! i love this receiver.... it might not seem that great to you guys, but this is my first apartment and first HT!!

im having trouble with all the settings though.... are there any guidelines to follow in order to get optimal sound??

17. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Heh, those speakers on top of your TV, i have those same ones for my computer :p)

18. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Sure, check out the calibration chapters in the HTF Primer and FAQ (link in my signature below).

M.

19. JesseBro

haha those are VERY temporary... center channel is the next piece to be upgraded....

i just spliced them together, works ok i guess..hahaha

Michael-
    thanks for the link