Only Fools And Horses

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil N, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Neil N

Neil N Stunt Coordinator

I rarely hear much about this British series here. I've got series one and two on R2 DVD, and have enjoyed them quite a bit. Does anyone know anything about the latter series? Are they similar in quality? What about the specials (I belive they made several Christmas episodes that are sold seperate?) Should I go ahead and get the rest?

Neil

2. andrew markworthy

OFAH is, along with Dad's Army, probably the most popular TV comedy in the UK. David Jason (who plays Del Boy) is an extremely good actor (best role was probably Scullion in 'Porterhouse Blue') and is hugely famous in the UK.

If anything, the later series are better, and the various specials are perhaps the best of the lot. The only change in the later programmes is that at some point (I think it was post-series 2) the actor playing the grandfather died and the character was replaced with 'Uncle Albert' (alas, the actor playing him died a couple of years ago as well) who is even funnier.

The supposedly final episode of OFAH was broadcast in the mid-90s, but a new programme was shown this Christmas, which was v. good, and this may herald the return of Del and Rodney.

3. Paul Mason

Paul Mason Stunt Coordinator

If anything OFAH gets better in the later series and especially in some of the Christmas feature length specials. I'm not sure how many of them are available but if you can find them and you enjoyed S1 and S2 then I'd say go for it.

Here's some of the ones I remember

- Jolly Boys Outing

- Peckham Spring

- Miami Twice

- Modern Men (this is one of the 3-parter 'final' episodes from 96, I can't remember the titles of the other 2)

4. Rudy

Rudy Auditioning

Of all the specials Jolly Boys Outing is my all time favourite and I just have to watch it every three months or so.

And the new Christmas Special is announced for March on VHS, so DVD can't be far behind.

Luvly jubbly!

5. Neil N

Neil N Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. I'm glad to hear that it only gets better. I've gone ahead and ordered series 3, and will get the rest over time.