What's new

Only 3000 consumers can receive HDTV? (Comcast replies) (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
After I found out in a thread in the TV forum that Comcast in Philadelphia has started to transmit some channels in HD, I wrote and asked them about when/if they'll do it here. They basically replied that they were gonna wait and see what happens, and that the consumer base is too small right now.
One thing that interested me was this comment:
Currently, there is not much high definition programming being offered by broadcasters, as well as little activity on the part of consumers for this programming. Less than 200 of 1,300 broadcast stations have begun digital broadcasting, and no more than 3,000 consumers have purchased the expensive equipment that must be used to capture the signal for HDTV.
Are these figures correct? I was very surprised to say the least, especially since Best Buy is selling the RCA 38" HDTV set w/ built-in receiver. I don't know how much that set sells, but together with the other set-top boxes out there, you'd think that there would at least be more than 3000 people/households nationwide that could receive HDTV signals (not to mention how many people there are that have the TV but not the receiver, and probably would be willing to get the receiver if the cable company carried the signal...).
Also, that only 200 out of 1300 stations are broadcasting isn't really an important figure, if those are the 200 biggest stations they reach a lot of people. And why they have to point out that the equipment will be expensive for me (I don't see it as that expensive), I don't know, but I can guess.
So, anyway, my question is: is the 3000 receivers figure accurate? I'm sure it was accurate at some point, but is it accurate now?
/Mike

Dylan Savage

Stunt Coordinator
I think there were something like 320,000 STB's and tuner-equipped TV's sold last year (2001), so their figures are obviously completely off. Perhaps they are just talking about in their area?

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
They must be talking about their area and the the U.S. as a whole. However, 320,000 in the entire US is a pretty small amount I would think. HDTV is only for advanced user's and not the common public.

Could change but digital cable (as it's called) is hurting HDTV, in my view. I don't think both can exist at the same time.

Just my feelings (today).

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
After your reply, I wanted to see if I could find a verification for that number, and I did at the Consumer Electronics Association's website, http://www.ce.org
On the page http://www.ce.org/newsroom/newsloader.asp?newsfile=8744 they state With final 2001 sales figures now in, CEA reports that the total number of DTV products sold since introduction of the category in 1998 equals 2,498,347, including 361,828 integrated sets and set-top decoders.
Since Comcast provide the subscribers to the HD service with a receiver-box, there are 2.5 million people with equipment that can receiver their HD signals (don't know how many of them are in Comcast-covered areas, of course, but more than 3000 I would guess).
So the 3000 number was probably either old information or something that Comcast pulled out of its ass to support their case. Either way, I sent them a reply with the correct numbers, hopefully that can stop them from sending out bad data...
/Mike

MarkRR

Auditioning
I do not understand the first post. I called Comcast in Philadelphia (who writes nowadays?) and asked to sign up for HDTV service. They said they had ordered the set-top boxes and would coontact me when they come in. The Comcast web site even provides the brand and model of the box.

MarkRR

Auditioning
Sorry, I did not get what "here" meant - Tucson! Not available in Tucson, but available in Philadelphia.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks