What's new

Only 1 Set of Composite Inputs - Switching Options? (1 Viewer)

Steven_ R

Agent
As I get ready to provide a HDTV signal to my Sony 61HS10, I'll need some sort of switch to change between the DVD player and the HD feed (whether it's satellite or OTA). The Sony only has one set of composite video inputs and I do not have a receiver that is capable of switching HD or composite signals. I recall hearing something about relatively inexpensive video switches that I could use to change between the DVD Player and HD box. Where would I find one of these and what are the factors to consider?

Thanks in advance for any advice. This is a GREAT board.

Steve

Ronald_P

Stunt Coordinator
JVC sells a switch box for $80 Retail 3 IN 1 out along with some S-Video/Composite switching 2 IN 1 out. I'm using it right now. I also had Vince on the Hardware board make some custom interconects. Seems to work just fine.

Ron

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Steven, just to be clear, are you looking for composite video switching (one-cable connection) or component video switching (three-cable connection)? If composite video switching is what you are after, take a look at the Radio Shack 15-1952 A/V switch box for $15. It has two inputs and one output. The two inputs and the one output have stereo audio jacks (left and right) and a composite video jack. There are no S-video jacks, but if you don't need S-video switching, then there is no reason to spend more for a device with that feature. You can get the Radio Shack switch box at radioshack.com or at your local store. Note that the part number is 15-1952.

Steven_ R

Agent
Oops, I did mean Component Video not composite - thank you Keith!
So, what do I need to purchase to be able to switch component video? I'll need a switch that can handle at least 2 input devices (DVD and HDTV) and one output.

And, is there anyway to change the subject line and text of my original post or post a correction?

Thanks so much.

Steve

Ronald_P

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

The JVC is the way to go it it rated for HDTV. You have to press a selection button to select output. It you have $350 to lay out go get the Digital Key one it switches automatically.

Also I don't think you can edit posts. I have made simillar mistakes.

Ron

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Steven, no problem. A moderator can edit the subject for you. Post a request for a subject change over on the HTF Help and Feedback board. Be sure to include a link to this thread to make life easier for the moderator that reads your request.

Steven_ R

Agent
Crutchfield lists the JVC unit as having 30Mhz bandwith so it "can pass through an HDTV signal with no picture degradation." But, that doesn't mean it really passes through the entire signal. I thought HD uses much more bandwith.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks