Online video game rentals?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Angel Pagan, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

I just canceled my Red Octane account with 20+ games on my queue that are tagged "short/long wait". I had the G3 program and had no games currently out. I did a search on the web for other online game rental sites and came across the following:

AngelGamer.com
    Video Game Alley
    GoVoJo.com
    DVD Avenue
    Boomerang.com

They're all pretty similar in that they all rent 2-3 games at a time for about $20-$25 per month. DVD Avenue rents video games and DVDs. I'm not really interested in this one since I'm quite happy with Netflix. Although they all pretty much have a 14-day free trial period, I was wondering if anyone on this forum has had any experience with any of these.

Thanks.

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I got a survey from Netflix a long time ago asking about video game rentals. I was hoping that they would add it to their stuff to rent, but so far nothing.

3. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

I've never received that survey and I've been a member at Netflix since 1/00. I wish Netflix would start renting video games.

4. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Well, now that they've had a successful IPO, it would make sense to expand into this area.

5. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

I've had Red Octane for quite some time, and am still on the old G1 program. (1 game out at a time for $9.99 - I think they discontinued it for new customers.)

Anyway - I tend to agree with you. I don't so much have the problem of the games I want being out, as most of the game I rent are about 12 months old. It's the slow shipping that has me cheesed off. I'll send a game back, and it's frequently a three weeks before they get a new one out to me.

I've checked out some of the other sites you mentioned, and their selection is rather slim compared to Red Octane. They also don't carry DC or PS1 games.

If you can find a site with a similar selection to Red Octane, I'd be interested in hearing about it...

6. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

I've been a member of Red Octane since they were called WebGameZone and ever since they started renting XBox, PS2 and GC games, their service has deteriorated. Having the 3-games-out-at-a-time (G3) program and them not being able to ship out any of the 20+ games on my queue because of short/long wait is inexcusable when they're never late by a day to charge my credit card. Hell, sometimes they charge my card 1-2 days earlier than the previous month. I'm gonna try the 14-day trial period on the other sites and see how they turn out. Will keep you posted.