Online Used Book Store?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Johnny Angell, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Does anyone know of a good online used book store? One that has a good selection of recent and older books in a variety of genres (though I'm most interested in mystery/detective and scifi).

Also, it would be nice if they didn't rip you off on shipping. I'm experiencing the situation where after they add shipping you might as well buy new.

I've tried some book search engines, but when you're trying to find several books, no engine I've tried helps to find the one store with the books you want. Buy 5 books from 5 different stores and shipping goes up.

BTW, I'm mostly looking for pocket books to read and not collect.

One store I like (though they don't have what I'm looking for now) is www.1stchoiceusedbooks.com.

2. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

alibris.com and amazon.com have lots of used books, but since they amalgamate lots of sellers, each book has a shipping cost. You also might try Powells.com. You can also sometimes find the sites of Amazon's sellers and go direct; same might be true for Alibris.

Dan

3. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell

Yeah, I've tried both and they both have the problem of very high shipping. Also tried Powells. We need a search engine that allows you to search for several books at a time and then gives the stores that have the most matches.

4. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Half.com has something like what you want. When you put an item in your cart, the next item you look at will display a crate icon next to any seller that matches your cart, thus lessening the expense. This seems to work best when you are shopping for the same type of books or from a series of books.

Abebooks.com allows you to search each individual seller's inventory (Half.com doesn't have this function), but not the kind of global search you want.

These are the two best options I know about.

5. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

http://www.priceowl.com will search a bunch of stores and includes the cost of shipping in what it displays too.