Online Retailers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PeterDI, Nov 1, 2004.

1. PeterDI

PeterDI Extra

I am looking at purchasing the Pioneer 1014. There are wide price variations on line. I am aware of the authorized, unathorized status given to these companies by Pioneer and the effect on the warranty. Seems all the authorized stores are selling it for the higher price. My questions are:

1. How can others sell them so low.
    2. Why does Pioneer not honor the warranty if these companies buy from the same distributors Pioneer sells to.
    3. How safe is it to buy form some of these companies. Wells Digital tells me they buy from an authorized distributor yet Pioneer will not honor the warranty. Should I just eat the price and get it at Best Buy or Vanns? Thanx

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

My roommate is in the business and from what I understand you need permission to sell online. If you pick it up from them person to person, etc. their warranty is valid. However, when sold online when not authorized leads to no warranty despite being bought from same distributor. That is why for any reason a distributor can cutoff their ties w/ a reseller. Will a brandname not honor their warranty if you have proof of purchase? They can...

BTW, we are in central NC and you should support local businesses... he needs the plug.[​IMG]

3. Jake S

Jake S Stunt Coordinator

On-line retailers have much lower overhead, but the manufacturers know that without brick and mortar stores displaying product, both retail and on-line sales "dry up", brick and mortar retailers try to force manufacturers into keeping product out of the hands of warehouse/on-line companies. If manufacturers thought they could sell any REAL quantity without brick and mortar stores, they would be factory direct like some Axiom, Swan, or Dogg Digital.
    Even Bose knows that they need an in-store presence despite their ENORMOUSLY successful marketing dept. and word-of-mouth advertising.
    Manufacturers are being pushed into not supporting products bought from unauthorized merchants. Just one factor in your decision.