1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Online Rentals

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Do any of you have experience with these online DVD/Video game rental places (ie:redoctane)?
    Are they a pain in the a**? Are there any sites better than others?

2. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

my sister in law uses NetFlix..and she swears by it. From what I can tell..it seems pretty straight forward.

You sign up, pick a list of like 60 DVDs or something..and they send them to you in that order..and you can only have like 4 at any given time..but you can basically keep them for as long as you want..so lets say you get 4..and return 2..2 more will arrive soon after..then you return 3..and 3 more will arrive...etc

they come in a padded envelope and you use the same envelope to return the disks..and just the DVD arrives..no case etc.

if you want to add new releases to your list..you add them and move them to the top of your "que".

I hope this helps you understand a little more..

good luck!

3. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

oh..and its 20.00 / month..but I think you can have as many movies as you can watch in 1 month..theres no limit..just cant be holding more than 4 at a time..

so I guess you could rent like 16 movies for like only $20.00..if you watched 4 each week..and returned them right away and got new ones fairly quickly...

4. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Actually, Jason, my $20 a month only gets me 3 DVDs out at a time, but I understand the tiering changed a while ago and you used to get 4 out.

Netflix doesn't rent video games, though, AFAIK. I wish they did! If anyone has any good feedback regarding a good online game rental site, please share!!

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I thought I would revive this thread to express my displeasure with redoctane. Their website says I should see my games 3-5 days after ordering... well, try 3 weeks. Then.. when I finally did get my game.. it was horribly scratched and even cracked. They did however, send a replacement free of charge (2-weeks). I was getting the game after the date I was supposed to return it!

So, unless you live in CA where the mail turn-around might be a little quicker, I wouldn't recommend 'em.

7. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

That's really too bad, like I've mentioned before, I'm a big fan of Netflix for DVD's. I live int he Bay Area though, so tunr around time for me averages 1 to 2 days.

8. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Thanks for posting your thoughts, Dave...I was considering those guys myself. Now I think I'll give them a pass.

9. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

Do you get the manuals when you rent from red octane?

10. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

NetFlix is awesome. There is a shitty selection of rental DVDs where I live, without NetFlix my home theater would be next to useless. I can't say enough good things about them.