Online Purchase - Canadians

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Brill, Nov 24, 2003.

1. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Hello,

Any Canadians use American based online retailers like ecost or etronics? Both use the Canada Post "freeborder" system for shipping but when I go to check out, they list $0 for duty... how is that possible? Is the cost hidden in the shipping and handling cost?

Also, were there any problems with your receivers when received? If so, what was the process to have them fixed if broken. Both sites are vague in that regard.

Thanks

JB

P.S. Hope this is the right forum, it is for the possible purchase of a Reciever if my fears can be eliviated. :b

2. PaulKoss

PaulKoss Agent

Most stereo equipment is duty free coming from the US into Canada, especially if it is manufactured in the US. I think there is an exception for speakers manufactured outside of the US, but I'm not sure. If you want clarification, you can call Canada Customs and Revenue Agency. You can look up the number on the government of Canada web site.

If you have questions about warranty repair, etc., I wouldn't buy anything on-line unless I knew at least a couple of people who could vouch for their service. Recommend you check the various online forums for feedback.

3. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Thanks, I just called CCRA and they confirmed if the equipment is assembled in the United States, there would be no duty. Odd that Yamaha and Onkyo show up with no duty as well... do they have an american assembly plant?

JB

4. Jason Sanderson

Jason Sanderson Auditioning

I don't think either of those sites are brand authorized dealers, are they? If not, then you are out of luck as far as manufacturers warranty goes and you have to rely on the e-dealers warranty. Plus, if you have any warranty issues with a e-dealer you are usually stuck with shipping costs for the return.

I don't blame you for wanting to buy from those guys, especially with the strong (hah!) Canadian dollar right now, but in my case I decided against it.

5. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

if the loony (or loonie?) gets stronger, maybe you guys can get a decent hockey team together [​IMG]

/ducks

Rich

6. Dan Pawlowski

Dan Pawlowski Stunt Coordinator

IMO Its not the duty that is the issue, its the f@#$*%^ brokerage fees to inform you that there is no duty...a tax to tell you if you should pay tax and how much....

7. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

8. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

9. PaulKoss

PaulKoss Agent

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    if the loony (or loonie?) gets stronger, maybe you guys can get a decent hockey team together
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We already do. It's called the NHL.

Another thing to consider about buying from US based etailers are warranties. Sony Canada for example only offers 3 year warranties on ES stuff while Sony US has a 5 year warranty.

10. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

But Sony Canada won't honour the warranty on an item imported from the US, so you have to send it back South for warranty repair. THAT'S when all the customs hassles start!

11. PaulKoss

PaulKoss Agent

I've returned equipment to the US without customs hassles. You just label it as equipment being returned to vendor for warranty repair and there are no problems. You can include your original receipt with the waybill as proof. The only downside I've found is that you have to pay for shipping.

12. JeffHunter

JeffHunter Stunt Coordinator

Note to any canadian customer ordering from ECost ...

if you decide to place an order with them, then a few days later call them up to see how your order is coming along (there is no online tracking for borderfree). Make sure you mention that you are a borderfree customer, cause I called this morning and the girl was all like "it was delivered this morning" to xxx place and signed by a gentleman named "Harris" ....

at this point my heartrate jumps ... [​IMG]

I tell the girl that I would call back shortly as I didn't actually place the order myself (I don't have a credit card)

so there I was trying to contact my friend who ordered my AVR225 for me and I"m just flipping out (heheh) ... so I end up calling back 30 minutes later and talking to some other girl and she says ... "it has been delivered to Canada Posts BorderFree Office this morning" ... ppphhhhheeeewwww [​IMG]

so just to make sure you aren't caused any added stress make sure they know your a borderfree customer heheh [​IMG]

13. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

14. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

How do you get around the brokerage fee on repairs? I got charged $105.00 brokerage on just one single speaker that crossed the border for warranty repair. The broker says they don't care what it's for, they have to get paid either way. It's like bloody extortion.

15. PaulKoss

PaulKoss Agent

If you send it UPS and fill out the UPS form to have UPS act as the broker, there are no brokerage fees beyond the UPS shipping charges. At least, that's what I've found.

16. henning hoffmann

henning hoffmann Stunt Coordinator

I've bought both an amp and speakers from the states. The amp came via UPS, and after the killer brokerage fees they charged, I made sure the speakers came FedEx.

The FedEx fees were so surprisingly low that I half-expected another bill in the mail saying they made a mistake. The amp was American-made and the speakers were Scottish. The duty wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either.

henning

17. PaulKoss

PaulKoss Agent

This has not been my experience. In any case, what is more expensive - brokerage fees or out-of-warranty repairs?

18. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Sorry...my mistake on the brokerage fees. You do have to pay the broker, but there should be no duties or taxes collected. Just the broker fee is generally around $30.

19. Marcel_A

Marcel_A Auditioning

Let me know how it goes... I'm canadian too, and really thinking hard about buying from the states... It'd save me like 400 bucks or more...

Marcel