What's new

Online Poker (1 Viewer)

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Heh, I agree and disagree Noah.

Yes, you can still do well at Party Poker because many ppl don't know how to properly play.

However, I've played dozens and dozens of home game 10 player tournies and I have never seen the frequency of stuff I see on Party Poker. And I also played a lot of FREE money Party Poker and I don't see the same results there as I see in real money.

Keeping track of the called all-in bets in a 10 player party poker tournament, you see a surprising amount of 4 card flushes/straights made in the community, usually benefiting the larger stack.

I've seen at least a dozen quads on Party Poker, like one in dozens of home games.

I totally agree, bad beats happen. I've been on the receiving end in a real tourney many times.. but no where near the percentage I see on party poker. Just my opinion (from keeping track).

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
I've been playing online with Paradise Poker for about a year now. I've tried a lot of different programs, but Paradise is by far the best in my opinion. Best interface, E-mail support quickly answers your questions, and the most tables and tournaments.

I play small. Sticking to the $10 or $20 tournaments or $25 no limit tables.

JasonF

Agent
Did anyone else get screwed on this deal? I did everything it said to do on the website. freepokerinfo.com. I e-mailed them and they replied that since I had already been a freeplay member I was not eligable for the refund. I e-mailed back and forth but I will get no money. At least they changed the website to note this. Oh well, live and learn.

Mike_Dikun

Agent
well I believe how the affiliate program works is they get paid when a new player signs up, so I guess since you were already had an account at party poker, they didnt get any referral bonus

It worked fine when my girlfriend used them because she set up a new account.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I don't believe Party Poker cheats. I've read a few analysis of their site and it always comes up clean. Here's one from USENET:

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if any of the online poker sites or if there's a third-party program that allows you to have FREE/Play money private tables so you can do an online tourney with your friends?

Party Poker has private tables but only for real money accounts.

thanks.!

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Remember 2 things.
1. It's not how much you win. It's how little you lose.
2. The cream will ALWAYS rise to the top.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
I have one concern about online poker...

Is there anything that prevents a crew from hooking up 9 computers in the same room where they can compare their hands (i.e. count cards) leaving you as the only one in the game NOT knowing what cards have come out already? (i.e. I have JJ. The chance of me getting a third Jack are GENERALLY 1/26, unless the other two Jacks have been folded by my buddies...)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't doubt it (perhaps it depends on how easy it is to move from table to table online). That concern did cross my mind when I thought about online poker (but I prefer to just watch and learn, and play in real life).

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator
The bigger sites do a pretty good job tracking for collusion. Monitoring people who join the same tables on a more than regular basis. Thats not to say it never happens. However 9 friends joining the table would make no sense, they would win very little money especially since every winning pot is raked. Maybe 2 people working together could give each other a "slight" edge, but not enough for me to worry about.

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator
Nice job Mike, almost the same as me. I just broke the $2100 mark today.

Ya, I'd also like to know what limits you play (so I can aviod ya ;) ). I mainly play 2-3 tables of $25 NL. I jumped up to the $50 tables for a couple weeks, but found the profits are more steady at the lower levels due to the lack of skilled players.

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Interesting thread.

I've started learning Texas Hold 'Em recently, getting the feel of the game with play money @ PartyPoker.

Would be interested in hearing where is everyone's game at now?

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I'm trying to learn through PartyPoker playmoney...the fundamental problem is that it IS playmoney.

No one, including myself really, takes the money seriously, throwing it around like pocket change. Most play just to try and grab that huge pot and then dominate the table. Someday I will play for money, but that'll have to wait till I'm out of university for the year.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i dont know how it is $100 for free, unless i am missing something, it looks to me like $50. $25 from partypoker, and $25 from freepokerinfo.

i dont know how good you guys are who are winning, but i dont consider myself a bad poker player, sometimes i may even be considered good. but i'm very tight with my money. i may try out the free money tables to see if i can do well, if i get comfortable, winning a few dollars every now and then for extra gas money could come in realy handy. i'll be avoiding noah and mike though :)

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
I try to play as many hands as possible to not only learn the game but to gain experience of seeing the combination of hands and the probability of the plays.

Having said that, there are certain situations or requirements that'll make me play at a certain table. For one, I never want to play with trigger happy players or amateur players because there's nothing to gain from it when they outdraw you. It will only go to succeed in massaging their egos (however, I do take names in case they enter into real money tourneys ;))

I prefer to play with experienced or well-educated poker players. The way I see it... I'm still learning. Playing against the top players will benefit me in increasing my pot of knowledge of the game.

AjayM

Screenwriter

Buy a book that has all the odds calculated for you, it makes life a lot easier, especially with starting hands. After that it will go into the basics of pot odds, outs, etc. Don't worry about whatever strategy the book will try and teach (by all means read it, but we're mostly looking at numbers here). Have those numbers sitting next to you while you play online and actually read them (even if you are dealt a A/K suited). Pot odds would be the next thing to really get a grasp on (this will teach you to dump the LONGSHOT straight draws on the river well before you get there, etc).

Also, if you want to improve your "money" play, then when you play with "fake money" online, don't change your style of play. The odds don't lie, somebody who has A/A will beat 7/2 most of the time, not all of the time obviously (and if you play long enough you'll lose to somebody who played 7/2).

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks