Online Messenger Services

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren Lewis, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Not sure if this should be in the computers area, but it's more of a general question.

Which online messenger system do people use? I've just installed ICQ which seems OK.

What about Yahoo messenger or MSN. I'm not on AOL so I don't think that's an option.

Are there any newbie things I should watch out for. I've only entered minimal information and set the email address as my junk internet address to keep spam from my desktop.

Thanks.

Darren.

2. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

AIM and Yahoo!, i got sick of ICQ because they started packing a bunch of useless features in it. Plus it took up 15MB of memmory when I ran it.

3. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

Trillian

It's all the messengers in one

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

5. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

You don't have to be an AOL member to use AIM.

As far as IMs go, I use AIM most of the time. For some reason, about 99.9% of my friends use this paticular Instant Messanger.

6. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I've got ICQ installed and it seems to be working OK. Got a lot of features I'll never use.

Thought it might be useful to have for people to contact me. Yahoo might be an option too, but I don't want to clutter my system with too much junk.

PS sorry about puttting this in the wrong area to start with.

7. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I run ICQ, AIM, and yahoo chat [​IMG]
    because different people use them all..

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Personally, I really like the Trillian interface, and find it much better than ICQ, which has one of the worst interfaces ever created. [​IMG] I haven't tried using it with MSN though - perhaps MS is playing games with the connections like AOL was a few months back. I used to get disconnected from AIM all the time, but it's pretty stable now.
    -Dave

10. Stacey

Stacey Stunt Coordinator

I use MSN, Yahoo and to a bare extent ICQ Light...that's right Light! It works fine and you don't need to clutter up your hard drive with anything...so If you have ICQ and want to keep it but get rid of all that extera "junk" just uninstall it and go to the ICQ website and use the ICQ Light connection instead.