What's new

Online Messenger Services (1 Viewer)

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Not sure if this should be in the computers area, but it's more of a general question.

Which online messenger system do people use? I've just installed ICQ which seems OK.

What about Yahoo messenger or MSN. I'm not on AOL so I don't think that's an option.

Are there any newbie things I should watch out for. I've only entered minimal information and set the email address as my junk internet address to keep spam from my desktop.

Thanks.

Darren.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
AIM and Yahoo!, i got sick of ICQ because they started packing a bunch of useless features in it. Plus it took up 15MB of memmory when I ran it.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Trillian -It's all the messengers in one
But to offer a shortcoming, it is one of the most clumsy interfaces I have ever used. While, as an avid computer user, you get used to where to look for certain setup options- nothing in Trillian is where you'd expect it to be, nor labelled in any way you'd hope.

Also, can anyone get it to stay connected to MSN? Mine disconnects every half hour or so.

-Vince

CameronS

Supporting Actor
You don't have to be an AOL member to use AIM.

As far as IMs go, I use AIM most of the time. For some reason, about 99.9% of my friends use this paticular Instant Messanger.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I've got ICQ installed and it seems to be working OK. Got a lot of features I'll never use.

Thought it might be useful to have for people to contact me. Yahoo might be an option too, but I don't want to clutter my system with too much junk.

PS sorry about puttting this in the wrong area to start with.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
For some reason, about 99.9% of my friends use this paticular Instant Messanger.
That's the catch, Darren. Unless your friends haven't already picked one or unless you can convince them to change, you will most likely just pick up whichever network they use for convenience.

I used to use ICQ, but I also got tired of all the bloated options they packed into it. Now I use MSN IM primarily, but that's only as long as they don't screw it up. I can only tolerate so many ads and pointless "features".

One thing about MSN IM ... if you're behind a firewall (I have a personal one set up) you might have problems transferring files over IM. ICQ still works okay, though. So I just use it for backup.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I run ICQ, AIM, and yahoo chat :frowning:
because different people use them all..

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I really like the Trillian interface, and find it much better than ICQ, which has one of the worst interfaces ever created. :) I haven't tried using it with MSN though - perhaps MS is playing games with the connections like AOL was a few months back. I used to get disconnected from AIM all the time, but it's pretty stable now.
-Dave

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
I use MSN, Yahoo and to a bare extent ICQ Light...that's right Light! It works fine and you don't need to clutter up your hard drive with anything...so If you have ICQ and want to keep it but get rid of all that extera "junk" just uninstall it and go to the ICQ website and use the ICQ Light connection instead.

Users who are viewing this thread