Online CRT RPTV Buying Issues?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Robert K, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Robert K

Robert K Agent

My first reaction to online buying a big/heavy CRT RPTV is they have to ship it to my house.

My second thought is, so what! I has to be shipped to a store too!! It not like the store takes it out of the box to check it out and set it up before you get it right!

Im a big online buyer, but have not bought anything so large and pricey before.

Are there any issues with buying RPTV online that should be considered? Im assuming one can generally save a meaningful amount of $ (at least sales tax) by buying online vs brick and motar.

Do online sellers generally offer to deliver to the viewing room? How about installation or setup? Even for additional fee?

I suppose you have more local eyeball to eyeball recourse to deal with warranty issue and such, but in this day and age things are so reliable that may not be a worthy concern.

How about online dealers that have good reputation and prices?

Anyway, thank you again for any thoughts you might want to offer.

Robert
    [​IMG]

2. John S

John S Producer

Great questions, ones which I wrestled with myself...

I bought mine from www.electronicsalley.com

There was a wait as it was not in stock (My fault because they had it in stock the first time I called to check, but had sold 2 units by the time I placed the order a few days later)

There was an additional wait, as the trucking company did not come pick it up the weekend of Thanksgiving as promised.

There was even more additional wait, as the truck apparently had a night or two of closed hi-ways do to snow/ice storms in the midwest.

So tomorrow afternoon, the trucking company says it will be there between Noon and 5pm.

3 weeks and 4 days from the time I placed the order.

$1248 to my door, 60" Philips RP HDTV.....

As of right now, the wait was a bit to long for my tastes, but ask me again in a few weeks, and I'll bet I would say, I'd do it again. lol

3. John S

John S Producer

PS: Really take a hard long look at the stated delivery price too, some places I can tell are making more profit off the shipping than the unit itself.