Onkyo's new card/slot components???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Laurence_C, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    I know it's early in the game for Onkyo but have they just taken a few giant steps forward ahead of the rest of the pack with this computer like technology??? This seems to me that if any of the other giants, (ie: Denon, Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc.,etc.,etc.) have been working on this technology, they just got TRUMPED in coming to market. I personally had started to dismis Onkyo as just another home theater components manufacturer but that thought for the time being has gone out the window. What does Denon and the rest of the pack do??? Will they look like they're just copying Onkyo by using this same build structure in the future???

2. Laurence_C

Laurence
    Oh come on, 52 hits on this thread but no reply??? Are you Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha and Sony owners just in-shock or comatose??? Or am I just saying what is already obvious???

3. John S

John S Producer

Maybe you could post some links to more information on it?

I actually have no idea what specifically your talking about with it is all.

4. Laurence_C

Laurence
  5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Arcam has some modular systems already, though not quite as flexible as that unit appears to be. You can buy a very nice stereo amp and expand to surround by adding a module, as well as upgrade the DAC section, which is also a modular component.

This looks to be basically a modular rackmount card cage that has been around for many, many years, so I'm not sure it is anything really "new" (though they take note not to call it a new technology). Somewhat new for high end, mass market home theater perhaps. I think it's a great idea, now the question will be how well does it work and how many modules will you ever really need to swap out compared to a "normal" receiver?

6. John S

John S Producer

Looks cool for sure....

I will certainly be waiting for the bugs to get worked out of these types of systems as more of them come out.

I can't wait til somebody torchers (uhuhm I mean bench tests it). To boldly go where no flagship reciever has gone before... lol

It is a good concept, I hope it tranfers to the real world performance well enough is all.

It seems to throw ultra low noise conventional audio circuit design and trace ethcing out the window.

7. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Well geez. I only have to pay $4,000 to future proof. Let's see. I could buy, hold on a minute, 4 x $1,000 mid-level receivers for that meaning I could stay current with the next 4 to 8 years of technology by buying a new receiver each time all for the same outlay. Not knocking it really as I appreciate this is one hellava high-end toy but come on, four grand!

Believe me, I love Onkyo. I've had a TX-838 Integra for 5 years now (and about to sell if anyone is interested [​IMG] )

N

8. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Potential Problems:
    1. Computer "like" technology. There are thousands of PCI cards from hundreds of manufactures. Onkyo is the only manufacture for this. Will they still be upgrading this thing in 5 years with new cards? That's a lot of money to "future proof" somthing based on propriatary technology.
    2. Moduler card systems have there own problems, namely cards becoming unseated, dirty contacts, etc...
    3. What's to say the next big thing will even work with the backplane?
    4. Like Neil said, 4 grand (does that include cards, if so which ones) buys a lot of recievers.
    5. It goes against the current trend of cheaper and disposable. How well can that hold up in the market?

9. Laurence_C

Laurence
    I agree that $4000 is a high price tag but compare it to say Yamaha and Sony ES top end receivers and it still comes out $500 less than there $4500 MSRP.

10. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

I know this is loaded with sarcasm, with which I agree wholeheartedly. I am taking this quote out of context for a reason, so please bear with me.

Unfortunately, this is exactly what many of us said with the introduction of the Onkyo 989/Integra 9.1/Integra Research 7 a few years ago.

Those flagship models from 2000 were billed as future proof with hardware and software upgrades. As I remember, the ad campaign coined this ("this" meaning my Integra DTR-9.1) was the last receiver I'd ever need to own. To date, we've received one valuable software upgrade for DPLII and one, well, less-than-valuable THX Ultra 2 upgrade (on which most of us have passed).

It's one thing to "future proof" against competition-- I'm just disappointed that with CES, Onkyo/Integra/Integra Research is apparently neglecting their current flagship models.

I have heard that the former flagships will receive a firewire upgrade sometime this year. While I'm thrilled about this and look forward to plucking down another batch of C-bills for it, with the introduction of the new slot receivers, I no longer have faith in O/I/IR. I feel misled.

While I understand that the nature of a/v components is ever-evolving and nothing is actually "future proof," I expect any company proclaiming its receivers as such should fulfill its own bold advertising promotion well past the period they introduced the products. The last receiver I'd ever need to own-- apparently not.

I apologize for the diatribe to anyone considering O/I/IR's new products-- they look fantastic.

11. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Future proofing does lose its appeal when it ends up costing more than you'd pay to just replace your whole receiver every time a new format comes out, as they do on a pretty regular basis these days.

Plus, you can't download additional audio channels (amplification, pre-outs, speaker connections, etc.). Any upgrade will have to work within the framework of the current hardware.

12. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Nathan, that was very well put. Although I do not own one of the previous "future proof" models (the 838 was just before that time and just below the flagship at the time), I agree totally with your sentiments.

N