What's new

Onkyo with Klipsch?? (1 Viewer)

skip marr

Stunt Coordinator
I have been a huge Klipsch fan since the 70's. I have traditionally preferred the classical line (Heresey, LaScala, Bell, K-Horns, etc.) though I think some of the current stuff also sound good - especially the reference line. My questions pertains to the electronic side of the equation I have had HK and loved it, Yamaha and hated it, and now need to decide on new stereo and home theater gear.

I have looked back at HK and the build quality and heat issues appear suspect. I have looked at Yamaha, but they once again appear bright and the slew rates are not as good. I looked at Marantz and find electronic failures as well as heat issues much like the HK's. I do not know much about Onkyo but the reviews I read appear favorable.

Can anyone comment on Onkyo, or for that matter, any of the above manufacturers and offer some honest advice? Shops just want to sell what they own, and continue to talk down anything that they don't. I am seeking the best match for Klipsch that will take maxium advantage of the speaker and offer that full, rich sound that envelopes the soundstage.

Thanks for anyone's comments!

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
I have an Onkyo 800, and I love the sound. I would say that it is neutral. Maybe between the HK and the Yammys.

However, I have not heard the pairing of classic Ks and Onkyo. You will be far better off spending some time at the Klipsch forum. Their advice would be far more valuable.

That said, you sound like a good canidate for separates.

http://forums.klipsch.com/

Yogi

Screenwriter
I have heard Onkyo's paired with Klipsch and they sound bright to my ears. Maybe not as bright as Yamaha's but bright nevertheless. Not a very good match IMHO. I have found Klipsch's go better with HK, Denon and Marantz. And oh yeah they sound best with B&K.

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
I have this combo - sounds good to me so far. I'm going to turn down the treble tonight. I like the brightness in general.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I have an Onkyo SR-TX601 with Klipsch KG2s for mains, KG.5 for surrounds and a KV-2 for a center. I have been very pleased with this set-up. I tried Energy Connoisseur C-1s and found them to be almost harsh sounding. These classic Klipsch speakers sound very smooth to me.

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
I'm done tweaking and I have the best sound I've ever had. I had to turn down the treble, turn up the DBs on the sub and surrounds and change the distance setting on the center.

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
Yes, with my previous setup I had both bass and treble set to +4 dbs. I turned the treble down to zero, kept the bass at +4. Then I did the other tweaking listed before and that's it.

Dave Man

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Klipsch Reference 7 series powered by a B&K 307 receiver and absolutely love it. You can pick one up used for about $1,500. One huge benefit for B&K processors is the ability to upgrade in the future ($500 or so).

I've heard Klipsch powered by Integra, which is Onkyo's high-end division and it sounds pretty good too. If you can afford the B&K, I would go that route.

David

Dave Man

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Klipsch Reference 7 series powered by a B&K 307 receiver and absolutely love it. You can pick one up used for about $1,500. One huge benefit for B&K processors is the ability to upgrade in the future ($500 or so).

I've heard Klipsch powered by Integra, which is Onkyo's high-end division and it sounds pretty good too. If you can afford the B&K, I would go that route.

David

Dean Arizona

Agent
I also vote for the B&K/Klipsch combo. I have the B&K 50 pre/pro (same internal electronics as the receiver w/o amp) feeding a Klipsch Ref 7 system all around (by way of ATI amps). There is essentially no discernable brightness in the speakers - in my home. However, the distinctive, lively "Klispch" sound is still apparent. This is primarily due to the horn-loaded design of the speaker's tweeters. The bottom line is that the members in this forum and the listening community in general are divided into two camps when it comes to the sound of Klipsch speakers. The consistently reported brightness of these speakers can be quite fatiguing and offensive to many listeners so it is critical that you audition them with electronics that approximate the setting you will have in your home. If possible, the speakers should be used in a room that is reflectively dead. For example, a room with hardwood floors without furniture or soft window coverings (drapes) may not be suitable for a Klipsch (as well as other) speaker systems. This is one of the cautions that I have seen in this and other forums. I strongly suggest that you visit the Klipsch forum for more detailed discussion of this subject. Be warned that the Klipsch forum represents many devoted owners so objective criticism of the speaker may be lacking.:emoji_thumbsup:

Dean Arizona

Agent
I also vote for the B&K/Klipsch combo. I have the B&K 50 pre/pro (same internal electronics as the receiver w/o amp) feeding a Klipsch Ref 7 system all around (by way of ATI amps). There is essentially no discernable brightness in the speakers - in my home. However, the distinctive, lively "Klispch" sound is still apparent. This is primarily due to the horn-loaded design of the speaker's tweeters. The bottom line is that the members in this forum and the listening community in general are divided into two camps when it comes to the sound of Klipsch speakers. The consistently reported brightness of these speakers can be quite fatiguing and offensive to many listeners so it is critical that you audition them with electronics that approximate the setting you will have in your home. If possible, the speakers should be used in a room that is reflectively dead. For example, a room with hardwood floors without furniture or soft window coverings (drapes) may not be suitable for a Klipsch (as well as other) speaker systems. This is one of the cautions that I have seen in this and other forums. I strongly suggest that you visit the Klipsch forum for more detailed discussion of this subject. Be warned that the Klipsch forum represents many devoted owners so objective criticism of the speaker may be lacking.:emoji_thumbsup:

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Demo those Klipsch's very carefully.

It seems like that brand is almost near the top for number of complaints you read about listener fatigue and brightness. Paradigm, also. You always hear about how bright these two brands are, so it's worth taking into consideration going into it.

Just make sure before you commit. It may really work out well for you.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Demo those Klipsch's very carefully.

It seems like that brand is almost near the top for number of complaints you read about listener fatigue and brightness. Paradigm, also. You always hear about how bright these two brands are, so it's worth taking into consideration going into it.

Just make sure before you commit. It may really work out well for you.

Yogi

Screenwriter
The older Klipsch's sounded fantastic with tube gear. They are very tube friendly speakers so if you really want to hear their best, audition them with tube gear.

Yogi

Screenwriter
The older Klipsch's sounded fantastic with tube gear. They are very tube friendly speakers so if you really want to hear their best, audition them with tube gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks