Onkyo Warranty

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichL, Aug 21, 2001.

1. RichL

RichL Auditioning

I am getting ready to purchase a new home receiver. Near the top of my list is either the TXDS595 or TXDS696. I did find some good pricing online but when I went to Onkyo's website, it says that Onkyo will not honor the warranty unles purchased from an authorized dealer. http://www.onkyousa.com/warranty.cfm
    I called a guy at www.soundpros.com and he says that by law in order for Onkyo to sell in the US they must honor the warranty as long as I can provide proof of purchase.
    So who is right?
    Thanks
    Rich

2. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

The whole warranty thing is a tricky issue. You might want to check out JandR.com. They are an authorized dealer (as listed on Onkyo's web site) and they have great pricing. I was very pleased with their service, also.

3. Thomas B

Thomas B Agent

I agree 100% with Pamela. I purchased my Onkyo 595 last month from J&R, and at a terrific price for this unit, $359. Their website also has an explanation about authorized dealers. I have heard stories about people who bought their equipment from unauthorized dealers who regretted that decision later.

4. Alex Yang

Alex Yang Stunt Coordinator

Rich,
    Onkyo will ofcourse honor the warranty and FIX and repair units that were NOT purchased overseas... (Gray market), and the authorized ONKYO service center will cheerfully accept your receiver for warranty repair...
    However, they are HONOR bound to repair it for free, they might charge you...
    Here's how it works, you bring in your piece for repair, you show them your receipt, 9 times out of 10, the repair guy looks at the receit to make sure that the warranty date is still valid and most of the time, that is all, and the repair is "free"...
    The repair shop calls ONKYO and request part # this or part # that for repair, ONKYO sends them the part and charges the service center, service center then claims this repair is covered under warranty, if ONKYO and SERVICE center BOTH agree you get it for free...
    HOWEVER, IF Onkyo decides that the repair is TOO costly or sometimes they decided to do a VALIDATION check, then your NON authorized receipt comes under scrutiny, be prepared to PAY for your repair!!!
    Gray market goods, stores/warehouses/distributors who purchased goods from overseas for cheaper prices, ONKYO or other manufacturers will most likely NOT even bother to repair because the PART #'s are usually different and specification wise are different altogether... Hence the reason why they don't even bother... (I know this last point doesn't pertain to you BUT you should watch out for GRAY market merchandise anyway...)
    Oh, I know because I used to be a service technician... [​IMG]))
    If you're willing to take the risk of having to pay for your warranty DON'T buy from NON authorized resellers...
    nuff said'
    Good luck,
    -Alex

5. RichL

RichL Auditioning

Thanks Everyone,
    I checked out JandR.com this morning and I got them to come down in price a little and include free shipping on the Onkyo 696. So I am happy now, and like they say the only time you will need the warranty is when you don't have one.
    Rich

6. Daniel_I

Daniel_I Auditioning

If you don't mind my asking, how far did they come down on the 696? (I'm in the market for a receiver...)

7. Carol Curtis

Carol Curtis Stunt Coordinator

It also depends what your State Laws say not what the companies tell you. If your not sure of your state laws contact your state's Consumer Protection Dept.

8. RichL

RichL Auditioning

I got them to come down a little over $30 including shipping costs. They had a very good price to begin with as well.
    Rich