What's new

Onkyo vs. Yamaha (1 Viewer)

Alex Sek

Grip
I'm planning on getting a new receiver and I've decided between the Onkyo TX-SR500 or Yamaha HTR5550/RX-V530. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I plan on using these with the Acoustic Research HC6 speaker system. The receivers are around the same price, so all I need is information on the performance. Thanks in advance for any help.

Alex Sek

Grip
Is there something wrong with my account or something? I started another thread in this forum a while back. Nobody replied. And this one has nobody replying. Or is no one familar with these products? My first thread had a lot of replies, but my other ones failed. Once again I'd appreciate any help or advice of any kind.

EdNichols

Second Unit
Hi Alex.
Yes, your account is working. I just bought a TX-SR 500 about 6 months ago and I like it quite a bit. I did not compare the sound to the Yamaha though. This was before I really knew what I was doing and before I found this forum. I did read up on Onkyo a little before I got it and had been told that the Onkyo had a good sound was more "neutral" compared to the Yamaha being more bright. I didn't, at the time, know what that meant. The store I went to had Sony, Yamaha, and Onkyo. The only comparison I did was based on features and the Yamaha had more "effects" ,studio, cinema, concert, etc. but I didn't care about that. I guess i had already made my mind up that I was going to get the Onkyo, silly as that sounds. The store didn't really have a good way to compare the sound of the two side by side. I liked the way the Onkyo looked better. I am very pleased with it, although I wished the remote was better. If I had to do over again I would do a side by side sound comparison. If for no other reason just to see if I could tell any difference. That is what you should do.

Clark F

Agent
I purchased a Yamaha RX-V630.
After determining what receivers and speakers I might be interested in, I looked for local A/V stores (not Circuit City or Best Buy) I could audition at. I only found one store I liked and the only equipment they sold that were on my short list were Yamaha and Paradigm. I really liked the Yamaha/Paradigm sound, so thats what I purchased.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Alex, if you put the word "Denon" in the title of your thread, you'll get a huge response. Just kidding.

I have a Yamaha receiver and am thoroughly pleased with it. Onkyo makes great receivers too. I think you'd be happy with either.

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
I have an Onkyo TX-SR500 and I highly recommend it. I don't have any experience with the Yamaha, but I have experience with other AV receivers. I recently upgraded to a Harman Kardon AVR-525 ($700 street price), and I honestly find myself tempted to downgrade back to the Onkyo.

The Onkyo works as you'd expect, right out of the box. It's easy to set up. I didn't have to beat it with a stick or perform undocumented tweaks to get it dialed in. It locks onto digital audio sources FAST. It has adjustable subwoofer crossover point (80, 100, 120 Hz) which I think is very important.

Most of all, I really liked the sound. I'm slowly getting used to the warmth of the H/K, but deep down I still prefer the sound of the Onkyo, actually. It's not "thin", but it's not "bloated".

It is a bit more noisy/hissy when turned up loud than the H/K, and it doesn't give as great a sense of dynamic range and power. That's not suprising because I'm comparing a $300 unit to a $700 unit. What *IS* suprising is how well-built, well-designed, and easy to use the Onkyo is. Thumbs-up, I say.

Alex Sek

Grip
Thansk to everyone for replying. I might go sound test some receivers this weekend. I guess I'll just look at all of the receivers in my price range, which is $200-$300.

Alex Sek

Grip
I've just added a few more receivers to my list. Now it's between these choices.

Onkyo TX-SR500
Yamaha HTR5550/RX-V530
Denon AVR-1603
harman/kardon AVR125

Could someone help me narrow these choices down a little? Thanks in advance for any help.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
The Onk SR501 is now out, and is a 6-channel receiver. You might want to check it out before settling on the SR500; I think they have the same MSRP. Unofficial word is that Onk has improved the power supply in the new SRx01 series.

Alex Sek

Grip
Forgot to add one more receiver to that list.

Pioneer VSX-D711

Problem I have with the new Onkyo is that it's a 6 channel receiver. I've decided on a 5 speaker system so I don't really see a point in getting that Onkyo. Thanks anyways for trying to help.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
The pioneer d711 has a week power supply in my opinion. Can't drive all 5 speaker that well. I currently have this receiver but will be getting a new one soon. Probably a onkyo. They sounded much better then the pioneer with the same speakers I have. I thought the panasonic he-100. sounded better then the pioneer d711. BTW, you don't have to add the back speaker if you don't want to. But if you ever feel the urge to, you'll have the option.

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Alex:

Couple of points:

1. Don't worry about buying an extra channel. It isn't that you may want it as a future upgrade, but the advantage of the extra channel is that the power supply in the receiver is made to ahndle six channels; when it only has to drive five channels, it will sound better because extra power is available to the five chanels you are using, thus giving a fuller, more realistic sound.

2. I can appreciate looking at a lot of products in the same price range, but help us help you by giving us more info. What kind of sound do you like? Each of those receivers sounds different when played through the same speakers and using the same source material. Yes, the Yamaha sounds brighter compared to the Onkyo or the H/K, but Yamaha pairs well with Paradigm or B+W speakers, for example (because of the speakers "laid back" sound). Conversely, a brighter speaker (e.g., Polk, Klipsch) calls for a warmer sounding receiver, such as the H/K. Also, what speakers are you using? What percentage of HT use and what percentage of music use are you going to put this receiver?

You account is working fine, but we need more info to make informed suggestions. After all, that's why we're here!

Alex Sek

Grip
I'm going to get the Acoustic Research HC6 speaker package. I was headed toward the Energy Take 5.2 but then I saw the AR's for only $300 plus s/h so I've decided on the AR's.

As for the percentage of HT and music use. I'll probably be using it for HT more than music since I just got the Panasonic DVD recorder.

The sale ends Tuesday so could I get some help quick? Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Alex:

The A/Rs are a bit on the bright side. I would recommend the H/K 125 first (best build, DACs, and power supply), and the Denon 1603 second, and avoid the Yamahas. While I think the Onkyo 500 is a fine entry level unit, it is not competitive, nor are the Pioneers, with the H/K and Denon IMHO. However, the Onkyo 501, suggested by another post, is intriguing to me. I don't know if you looked at it or if it is under any consideration, but it appears to be a big improvement over the weaknesses of the 500 such as a bigger power supply, component video switching (this unit is the the only unit on your list that provides true video component switching with its 50 Mhz video bandwidth--I get testy over some other units that provide compenent video switching, but only have a bandwidth of 10 Mhz which is not wide enough for HDTV. In short, it is a rip off because S-Video does 6 Mhz!).

If the video component switching is not an issue, go with the H/K, which is an honest receiver. Or, if you don't like the H/K, get the Denon. Many of these units have been tested and they do not provide their rated power over 5 channels (i.e., recently a Yamaha 730, rated at 75 wpc into 5 channels, was independently tested and could only provide 39.4 wpc into five channels). This is definitely an issue with Yamaha and Onkyo (the x00 series--don't know about the x01s). The H/K gives more than its rated power. The Denon gives its rated power, but not much headroom, which is why I would give it second place.

I hope I didn't complicate your decision Alex, but I thought I would give you what I know. Best of luck, and enjoy your new system. HT can be really cool!

Alex Sek

Grip
Why couldn't choosing a receiver be as easy as choosing speakers? I'm just wondering is there anything else wrong with the Yamaha besides the power supply? I had decided on the Yamaha yesterday, but now I'm not so sure.

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Alex:

If you like the sound of the Yamaha with the A/R speaker package, go for it. You have to like the sound, not me or any one else. My tastes may not be yours, so don't worry about it and second guess yourself.

Yamaha makes a very fine product, but they put their money in places that are not all that important to me (digital soundfields) and, in my view, skimp on those areas that are important to me (power supply). That doesn't mean that it is a bad product, just that they made choices in building their receivers that are not the choices I would prefer. But as their market strength shows, there are a lot of people that these are the right choices. You may be one of those people. This is not a question of right or wrong, just a question of preferences.

The important thing is that you end up with a system that you can enjoy for several years to come. So make your choice and don't look back--and enjoy the system! As I have said before, a good HT system is a really joy (and a technological marvel). It is something to derive pleasure from and not something to worry about.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks