Onkyo vs. NAD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikePeroni, Mar 18, 2002.

1. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, have the Onkyo 595 powering the Energy Take 5.2 set. While things sound alright, I cant help but think the Energys can take alot more than the Onkyo is dishing out. Ive been about 50/50 with movies and music, and finding myself more critcal about the sound than I thought I would be[​IMG]
    Anyway my dealer in Canada has the the NAD t761 for $700ish, and Im wondering if I should make the switch. From what Ive been able to dig up, NAD puts alot of receivers to shame. Any thoughts on this? I paid 400 for the Onkyo, so were talking about 300 more... thanks as always![​IMG]

2. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

bump...anyone?

3. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mike,

I haven't personally listened to the T761, but I've found previous NAD products to be very musical. Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio recently had a special for $679 (price-wise, $700+ for the NAD sounds reasonable). Kevin's company focuses mainly on 2-channel and tubes, but he highly recommended the T751 and T761. The only thing you might worry about is build quality/reliability (NAD's reputation may not be the best). As a footnote: it seems very few forum members have much experience with NAD. I'm still waiting for someone to comment on my post on the NAD Silver Series. With all the frantic activity on pre/processors Outlaw 950, Rotel RSP-1066, Anthem AVM20, I would have thought someone would have looked into the NAD S170.