What's new

Onkyo vs Marantz (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
I need some help in deciding between these 2 units. Specifically the Onkyo 898 or the Marantz 8200. I was leaning toward the 898, but I am very concerned with the audio drop out problems, & ticking problems with Onkyo products. I like the 7.1 capability and the bandwidth capabilities since I would iniatially have to run all of my sources (dish network, vcr & dvd player) through the receiver since my tv does not have enough inputs. The Marantz received a pretty good review in the latest issue of The Perfect Vision. I am mainly interested in home theater results, but will listen to music also. The speakers will be either Klipsch of Definitve Tech in a fairly large room (30' x 15').

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
I listened to both units as well as the Denon 3802.I have Def-techs as well so the Onkyo was out right away.That combo did not sound good to my ears.I found the 8200 was the best performer for music and pretty equal to the Denon for H.T.I chose the Denon even though I prefered the Marantz.The Marantz was quite a bit more money and it only has 6 amps while the Denon has 7. I was pre-wired for 7.1 so I saved buying a extra amp,plus my B&M was having a huge moving sale so I got the 3802 for a great price.If your 50/50 for music and H.T. I would pay the extra and get the Marantz.Hope this helps.

Wayner

i have the 898 and it is an amazing unit,HT rocks the house i am running all Polk speakers using the 7.1 set up with 2 subs.easy setup great remote,i think i made the right choice but best thing to do is too listen to both with your speaker choice and let your ears decide. good luck and enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks