Onkyo vs. Kenwood: Which would you choose and why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Ashforth, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth Stunt Coordinator

I have an opportunity to upgrade my current (POS DD only) receiver, with one of the two receivers below. I can get them for cost. Which one do you guys think I should get.
    1. Onkyo TX-DS494
    2. Kenwood VR-507
    The main reason I chose these 2 models was that I could upgrade to dts and Pro Logic II for about $150. The Onkyo seems to have better build quality, but lacks some of the Kenwood's power. The main differences between the two seems to be power. But I think the Onkyo uses high current so that may be a moot point. I'm leaning toward the Onkyo because of the build quality and user interface, but I also want to make sure it has enough power. I haven't been able to audition these in my home, just in the store. They sounded fairly similar. I look forward to getting your opinions.
    Thanks.
    Jeff.
    ------------------
    "I don't know, I'm just making this up as I go."
    My Spare time larcenists
    The worst HT in America.
    [Edited last by Jeff Ashforth on August 27, 2001 at 08:51 AM]
    [Edited last by Jeff Ashforth on August 27, 2001 at 08:56 AM]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Used with what speakers?
    Personally, I would go with the Onkyo for exactly the reasons you listed. High current, full bandwidth rated power, superior build quality, better processing, etc... With the listings of rated power, I would say they are actually likely to be equal in power output, with the Onkyo delivering better sound reproduction.
    Take one look at the distortion (THD) numbers. That should be enough to make the decision alone...
    The fact that you can get them at cost is great, but also consider the Marantz SR-4200. I would put it equal to or slightly ahead of the 494.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

My vote would be for the Onkyo. OTOH, if you could get the Denon AVR-1802 for the same price, no contest. Get the Denon.

4. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

Maybe I don't understand. The Kenwood VR-507 already has Pro-logic II. At any rate, that's the one I'd buy if it was my money.
    ------------------
    Norm Strong ([email protected])

5. Jeff Ashforth

6. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I'm a big fan of Onkyo, but the wierd speaker settings and the supposed "easy menu system" of the 494 are big strikes against it. The Kenwood will give you a bit more flexibility at that price range.
    That being said, I auditioned Onkyo and Kenwood receivers before I bought my Onkyo 595 (which does NOT suffer from the problems of the 494), and liked the sound of the Onkyo more than the Kenwood. Also, a friend ended up with the Kenwood and after hearing it in his room, I'm glad I stuck with Onkyo. My suggestion would be this: If you can move up to the Onkyo 595, do it... but if not, get the Kenwood. The 494 is just not worth messing with.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Once again, I say LOOK AT THE THD NUMBERS:
    494: 55 watts x 5 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 kHz) at 0.08% THD
    VR507: 100 watts x 5 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.7% THD [​IMG]
    Regardless of ANY features, this is an excellent indicator of a higher quality amplifier. Between those two, I still say the Onkyo is a much better choice.
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 29, 2001 at 10:38 AM]

8. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Onkyo all the way !!!

9. Jeff Ashforth

Jeremy said:
    quote: I'm a big fan of Onkyo, but the wierd speaker settings and the supposed "easy menu system" of the 494 are big strikes against it. The Kenwood will give you a bit more flexibility at that price range.[/quote]
    Can you give me a few more details about this. I had always heard that the user interface for Onkyo was more "friendly" than Kenwood.
    As for the THD numbers, I'm not sure about how they were measured but it sure is a BIG difference. So far, I'm leaning much more toward the Onkyo but now I'm concerned about these weird speaker settings and set up menu.....
    Cheers.
    Jeff.
    ------------------
    "I don't know, I'm just making this up as I go."
    My Spare time larcenists
    The worst HT in America.
    [Edited last by Jeff Ashforth on August 30, 2001 at 11:11 AM]

10. Jeff Ashforth

Sean said

11. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

12. Jeremy Anderson

13. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

I own the 494, and must say that I like it a LOT. It was a pain in the rear at first for a newbie like myself, but once I figured things out, I am totally happy. With this being my first receiver ever, it is definately a good sounding, user friendly (once you learn the menu & how things work) receiver in my opinion.
    The only drawback in my opinion here is that I have never heard the Kenwood. My opinion sticks with the Onkyo, it's driving my JBL N26's, N24's, & N-Center very nicely.
    Just my $.02..........Wil
    ------------------
    "The rose petal floats on water,
    the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
    Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
    *******The Wheel of Time
    [Edited last by Wil_J on August 30, 2001 at 12:56 PM]

14. Jeremy Anderson

Something else I thought of:
    I know Kenwood's last run of receivers had a crossover of 100hz for bass management. I don't know about their newer DPL2 line for sure, but I'd imagine it's probably still 100hz. Depending on what speaker/sub combo you're using, this may be too high a crossover for your setup. The Onkyo is crossed at 80hz at 12db/octave. Not sure if that's important to you, but it's something to consider. Either way, I think you'll be happy with either receiver.

15. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

16. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor