Onkyo vs. Denon struggle... Help?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Casey H, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Casey H

Casey H Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,
    I am about to jump out the window! I have a new Onkyo 494 with DPL2. My problem is I am trying to decide whether to keep it or go with a Denon 1802 with DPL2. Can anyone give me pros and cons of the desicions they have had to make going with one product over another? They both sound great! [​IMG] Any help is apprec!
    Thanks,
    Casey

2. Steve T

Steve T Stunt Coordinator

If you already own the Onkyo, and you think both sound great, what is causing your frustration? Does the Denon have more of the features you want? Do you think you need more power? I can give you one reason to go with the Denon;
    preamp outputs (it is my understanding that the Onkyo 494 and 595 do not have these). My original AVR purchase was a Denon AVR-1601. It did not have preamp outputs and I knew they were something I wanted, so I exchanged it for the 1801. I now use the 1801 as a preamp, and to power the center and surrounds only.

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I would think this is more of a lateral move than an upgrade. And you'll probably take a loss on the Onkyo, right? So in the end you'll have paid almost enough to get a 2802 but you'll only have an 1802. I can't imagine wanting to do this. Especially since the 494 was just released a couple of months ago.
    But if you resist the urge to buy a new toy every 6 months then after a couple of years you'll have saved enough for a substantial upgrade.
    So unless there's a specific area where the Onkyo is failing you, I say keep it.