onkyo vol. problem!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Sheldon-m, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

I just recently bought the onk 601 last week. I have my Fluance AV-5 hooked up to it. well the problems is that when I crank it up, I have to put up in the 60 or 70 to hear it. what up with this? is my rec a lemon? What can i do? Thanks

2. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

Don't know if this helps or not...probably not...but my friend has an Onkyo Amp (not sure the model, but he paid about 800 - 1000 for it). I know from being over his place and watching stuff, that normal TV (Direct TV) broadcast and while watching DVDs, he has to put it up to about 50 - 55 before the surround sound really comes alive. I think that's sortta odd considering it goes up to only about 70 I think? Not that it sounds bad, it just doesn't wake up till then.

However my Yamaha receivers I've used I can barely have it up at all and it's going head strong with the full sound from all channels. I have to say that I am a little disappointed with his Onkyo...not a bad receiver, but doesn't suit me well.

So it might not be just your receiver....?!

3. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

Thats what i'm talking about. it has to be cranked up for the sound to come out. between 0 and 40 there is no sound.
    i hope it is not a a defect. thanks for the info

4. chris_clem

chris_clem Second Unit

I have the Onkyo SR-600 receiver which is almost identical to your model(it's last year's model) and this is normal for the Onkyo receivers. They seem to have the volume tapered in *very* small increments. You'll get used to it and it shouldn't really bother you at all since I doubt anyone can withstand turning the dial up higher than 80 anyway (It goes up to 99 or 100.). Also, I noticed that different inputs/sound formats will have different comfortable listening volumes. Dvds in 5.1DD typically at aroung high 60's to low 70's, DVD's in DTS at the low to mid 60's and my Gamecube which is connected via RCAs are in the low 40's. Aside from this little quirk it's really a solid receiver and I have no regrets getting this over the ones I auditioned[​IMG]

BTW you have to love that remote![​IMG]

5. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I too have a 601 and my typical setting is at 60-65. At 70-75 it is almost too loud to listen to comfortably. You didn't say what size room you have, that will make a difference as well. chris_clem is right about different sources and different DVDs and DVD audio formats. A few weeks ago I watched a movie (can't remember the title) and I had to have the volume up to 75 to hear the dialog clearly but yesterday I watched Terminator 3 with the volume at 60 and the house was rattling during the truck chase scene. My room is small (14x14) with a lot of sound absorbing stuff in the room like drapes, a couch, and two chairs, but my speakers are very efficient (93db @ 1 watt), your Fluance speakers are rated at 89 db for the fronts and 86 db for all of the rest. They are not as efficient but should only require 2-4 more watts of power to sound as loud as my speakers do in a similarly configured room.

You don't have a problem with your receiver, you have a fine receiver that is operating the way it should.

6. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

I have an Onkyo 600, and have heard a lot of people complaining about the same problem. It is only a number. In my opinion, who cares what the number on the receiver says. If it is good quality sound, and as loud as you need it, the number is irrelevent.
    Greg

7. Ryan*Pr*

Ryan*Pr* Agent

I have a 700 receiver, and as others have said, this is normal. Sometimes I dim out the front display so I don't know what the volume is and I enjoy it whatever the number is. The way Onkyo sets up their volume bothered me a lot when I first got my receiver as well.

8. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

I believe that Onkyo uses a logarithmic volume scale. This causes it to increase in volume very slowiy at first and then more quickly as you go up. Complaining about this is misplaced as it's only numbers and does not affect the total power available.

Kind of reminds me of Spinal Tap - "All of our amps can be turned up to 11" - as if that increases the overall available power!

9. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't necessarily call it complaining, but it's just annoying if, for example, at my friend's house, the phone rings, he turns it down and you sortta loose all aspect of the surround ambience to it. To me, the sound shouldn't feel like it's brought back to the front sound stage and the surrounds feel like you turned them off. To me, you should still be able to get the same effect of sound at any volume.

I guess I'm just used to my Yammy that no matter what volume I have it, it sounds exactly the same (spacial wise).

It's not anything against the Onkyo, I do like their receivers...but for me it was a point that did not sell me on one.

10. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I have never heard of this with the new Onkyo receivers. I don't follow them much any more. I used to have an Onkyo 575 until earlier this year and I never had to turn that thing up over +25. I guess they changed them over the past 4 years.

11. dusty

dusty Agent

I have the TX-SR501, and I rarely turn it up over 37-40. Its plenty loud, which leads me to believe you might have a defective one, or its not properly set up.

12. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Onkyo does use a Logarhytmic(sp?) Volume Scale so this type
    of operation is *normal* for the way they have the volume
    set up. I run a TX-DS787 and it's always been that way..

As for what's comfortable to listen to, that varries..

A few things that effect the "loudness" would be how the
    materials were mastered and also the output impedance of
    the sources.. This is why the Onkyo Receivers have a very
    complex list of set up features.. IntelliVolume will let
    you calibrate each and every source so that they all play
    at the same level. And you can also switch the volume scale
    between Absolute and Relative.

I generaly listen to movies at 45-60 anything louder than
    that and it's too loud.. My DVD Player must have a better
    impedance match to the Receiver than some other's do.

13. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    When my brother openned up his HT-650, there was a sheet of paper taped to the receiver letting the customer know that there is nothing wrong with the receiver if they need to turn the volume up to 40 or 50 to hear anything. From there it gets loud quickly. My H/K 520 is the same way. The numbers go from -80 to +10. under -50 there is hardly anything. From -45 to -20 is where I'm at mostly and over -10 is VERY loud. Just the way they do it these day's. Gene