Onkyo V. the world

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Theron D, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Theron D

Theron D Auditioning

I have been an active lurker on this site for a number of years, and have gained much from this exercise. However, one thing has baffled me of late. Why does it seem that onkyo receives little credit with most of it's products. They always seem to get great reviews from users both high level and novice, yet rarely seem to be recommended.

I've had onkyo since i bought a 656 5+ years ago and still use a 676. I've been very happy with them, but now i am back in the market. I fully intend to listen to as much as possible, but in researching before going out, I've noticed that Yamaha, Denon and a few others are always recommended but rarely onkyo. makes me wonder if the mass market company onkyo is carried by has turned people off.

I know that ulitimately my ears are the only test that matters, but what gives? have I missed something from a quality stand point? value judgement?

Please...Discuss.

2. ken-m

ken-m Agent

WHAT KIND OF SPEAKERS ARE YOU DRIVING?

3. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

Theron,
    That's a coincedence , I still have my 656 DD only as well as a 676 I bought to get DTS. Here's my theory on why Onkyo isn't a favorite around here. After about the time they made the 575x, Onkyo receivers got a poor reputation for power supply . Some of their receivers were measured in Sound and Vision with output of only 30 some watts with 5 channels driven. People perceived there was a power problem with the new Onky'os . Onkyo must have heard because the power ratings are back up again. I looked inside a new Onkyo at Circuit City and on the transformer there's a sticker stamped High Current or somthing to that effect so Onkyo is obviously trying to get their old reputation back. You are correct that even the supposedly underpowered models received great reviews . I recently switched to Harman Kardon Receivers. They sound the best to my ears of all the brands I auditioned, when I went to replace my 676. The AVR 230 which can be had for $380.00 shipped from Jandr has everthing my 676 had but adds component video switching and a sixth rear surround amp.

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well almost all the manufacturers I have seen have that little power rating problem. HK is one of the few exceptions where they deliver more power than they are rated too, which is always really nice to keep it honest.

I've noticed that the reason is, is because you can get a deal for something like the Onkyo with several other companies. I've noticed alot of people just prefer to buy Denon, HK, or Yamaha instead.

Right now the Onkyo 501 seems to be in style and i've seen alot of people buying that, so I wouldn't say that they are out of style.

5. John S

John S Producer

I just never had any experiences with Onkyo in the past.

After installing the Onkyo SR-501, what is labled as their entry level receiver at two different homes a few weekends ago. They have my utmost respect, those systems are truly stunning withy hardly any money spent on them. I can only surmize that since it is labled as their entry level, it only gets better from there.

6. Stacey R

Stacey R Extra

Recently as of about a year and a half to 2 years ago , Onkyo had a rash of quality control issues with their more expensive recievers. I have the TX DS-797. It required 2 repairs for problems that existed when the reciever came out of the factory. On my reciever I was getting a ticking sound in the rear speakers. The other problem was a skip when trying to watch certain DVD's and on some Dolby digital broadcast on HBO.

Onkyo fixed both problems free of charge but it took a while for Onkyo to own up to the problem(The repairs took 5 weeks). Before the repair, there as quite a bit of finger pointing at Dolby and HBO. I remember one ridiculous suggestion being that you should watch HBO and the problem DVD's using Pro Logic II.

The other source of aggravation was dealing with Onkyo customer support. In my dealings with them never seemed to understand the scope of the problems. I called about 2 problems on my reciever and they sent a repair order to the service center to fix only one problems. Needless to say, only one problem got fixed. I thought I was very clear to them that I had 2 problems. In the end I was the one who provided the service center with the service bulletin number describing the problem and how to fix it.

I would probably buy Onkyo again but I would recommend that you do some research about any type of problems you might experience before dropping any cash. This could be said for any reciever though. I believe that Denon and Sony had some of these same problems also. If you're looking for more information about Onkyo's check out the hometheaterspot.com. They have a forum area dedicated to Onkyo and other major reciever brands.

Stacey

7. Theron D

Theron D Auditioning

Now that it has been mentioned, I do seem to remember some quality control issues with the previous platform. In fact, I believe my 676 is a B stock from a ground loop fix.

Chris, you are correct about the high current claims onkyo makes. It is a big push in their current billing. Really if you look into the current platform (501,601,etc) they look very well built. Oversized transformer, capacitors, separated amplified signals and line level.

Thanks for some of the perspective and more thoughts would be appreciated as well.

8. ChrisLazarko

Stacey I wouldn't say Onkyo is the only one who had QC issues. HK about 3 years ago had the same problem but they knew about it. Recievers would just stop working, channels would go out and such... From what I heard HK just gave people other recievers in exchange or fixed the problem pending what it was and how big... not like your story but...

Also, as for Sony, I never went to get any of my recievers fixed from them even though I own a couple broken ones from years back because I had a monitor from them that I paid $400 for and 3 days after warranty expires the button to control everything broke and the monitor was virtually useless with the screen all of center and such. They said it would anywhere from $50-100 to fix that button.

I'm sorry but i'd rather get another screen for $200 then spend that money on a stupid button.

9. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

Every manufacturer seems to go through ups and downs over the years. Even the much worshipped H/K went through a problematic period.

Onkyo seems to have taken its recent problems to heart and has worked to make improvements to its newer products.

I've helped several people setup lower cost HT setups using the 501 as the base piece and it's an outstanding deal for the money.

10. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

ChrisLazarko

"Well almost all the manufacturers I have seen have that little power rating problem. HK is the only exception where they deliver more power than they are rated too, which is always really nice to keep it honest."

Chris, you ever hear of a few companies named NAD, Rotel, and B&K?

11. ChrisLazarko

sorry i'll rephrase it. My mistake.

12. Theron D

Theron D Auditioning

Does anyone actually test 2 channel vs all channel power? I've seen a site with S&V numbers for reported vs tested, but couldn't determine the testing application.

Expressly I am interested in the Onkyo TXNR901, as I can get it at a ridiculous price.

13. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I have been an Onkyo-Ite for a few years now. It's a shame
    that there were QC Issues with the 797 and later Receivers
    because my 787 which was one under the Flagship 989 has been
    nothing short of a tank since I have owned it.

When the new Onk's hit the market with DPLII and DTS Neo
    everyone was rushing to get them and I even think Onk rushed
    them to market. I wouldn't give up my 787 for the world
    though.. DTS-ES/DD/THX-EX 5.1/6.1/7.1 I don't need anything
    else.

The only issue I have had with my 787 is thermal protect
    and that is due to the low impedance swings of my main's
    and has nothing to do with the quality or amount of power
    that the 787 puts out.. Most Receivers would crap out trying
    to drive my mains.

I was so impressed with my 787 that I bought the matching
    M282 110w RMS x 2 Channel Power Amp and have also been very
    pleased with it's performance for it's price. Not too harsh
    and not too laid back. The sound is very pleasing to my ears.

14. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased the Onk 601 amonth ago, and i can't be happier with it. I think everyone has come out with a product that gets by QC. Some companies let it go and some don't even know they had a problem. I think if they man up and take care it, there shouldn't be a problem. I think it is a great rec but i will let ya'll know in a year from now.....

15. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

I like Onkyo products a lot, although I don't own any at the moment. I wouldn't hesitate to buy in the future. When I was in college, late 80s, seemed like everyone had one Onkyo piece. I guess brands go through phases of favor.

Anyway, as far as those ratings reports go, I've always thought: So what? When are you ever gonna need 110 x 7 simultaneously? Companies that rate their receivers as such but that show dips in tests nevertheless deliver more power than I'll ever need.

16. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Theron, I was wondering the same thing myself a few weeks ago but lately I have read more positive input about Onkyo. I think that coming out with the best HTIB's by far may have hurt thier rep for a bit, but people are beginning to remember the rest of thier line is solid as well. I just bought a HT-R500 ( a real 500 watts X 5) for $119. with free shipping and a two year factory warranty from PC Mall and as John S said, the performance for the price is astounding. I also have an H/K 520 which is I'm also very happy with. Anyway, what about Marantz? I read even less about them than any other make and I have always thought they were among the best. Gene

17. Mike Baldwin

Mike Baldwin Stunt Coordinator

Well I just purchased a 797 from a forum member and I look forward to adding it to my HT. It will be a mild if not good step from my pioneer antique receiver I have. I sure hopw whate everyone is saying about this unit isnt true thou and I look forward to having it. This is a pretty good info thread thou.

Mike

18. Stacey R

Stacey R Extra

19. Don Barduca

Don Barduca Stunt Coordinator

The current Onkyo's are even cheaper than their predecessors of a year or two ago. And the lack of power is definitely an issue. Out of all receiver brands out their that I have listened to Onkyo is the ONE company that fails to have enough power for movies with loud surround scenes. The soundfield simply buckles. Now does that effect the other 90% of the movie?...No. But as film studios are putting more and more explosions and such into films I say that 90% other is decreasing day by day.

Of course my experience only comes from the higher end Onkyo and Integra receivers, (the ones with NetTune), but I seem to remember Onkyo's lower line as far less than their flagships so I am sure my statement (given as my opinion) is true all throughout their line.

Don

20. John S

John S Producer

Don Barduca: Not say'n at all that your wrong, he needs to read every opinion out there on products and manufactures he is considering for sure.

My recent experiences with the SR-501 are exactly opposite of what your saying. I do think, pairing them with at least 90db or greater efficiency speakers might be a must for them though. Maybe even 6 ohm too. I can say they are at least an excellent match with the ultra bargain lowly Yamaha NS-6490's anyways, which meet both of the obove criteria.

So when was the last time you demo'd an Onkyo amp and/or reciever?

Their currrent crop of power supply, seems much better, than those of even 2 years ago.