Onkyo v/s Polk Audio RM6000 v/s JBL NSP1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by joe.a, Nov 20, 2002.

1. joe.a

joe.a Auditioning

Nov 15, 2002
    I'm looking into setting up my first HT. Recvr + Spk
    budget is around $500. Based on posts on HT forum and Ckt
    City web-site, Onkyo HTIB HTS650 entered my final short-list. Before going for it, I wanted to find out if I could
    get an equal or better performance from smaller speakers
    (the Onkyo ones that come with HTS650 seem bulky).

Would I get same or better audio quality with Polk RM6000
    or JBL NSP1 ?

How does Polk RM6000 compare with JBL NSP1 ?
    (Also, what's the difference between Polk RM6000 and RM6005;
    JBL NSP1 and NSP1 II ?)

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. Debbie K

Debbie K Extra

Oct 25, 2002
    We tried the Onkyo speakers you mentioned and were not really happy w/ the clarity, especially the center channel. We then tried the JBL N center (part of the NSP1 package) and it seemed much improved.
    I would definitely recommend the NSP1 over the Onkyo speakers but that is just my opinion, of course. We actually ended up w/ the JBL S-center, 2N38's and 2 N24's, (also part of the NSP1 package) and we think it sounds great!
    I feel confident you would be happier with the JBL speakers over the Onkyo speakers. Much clearer and less "speaker-y" sounding. [​IMG] I am sure that is not an official term.
    The dif between the NSP1 and NSP11 is just slight cosmetic difference, the NSP11 is the most recent version. As far as I know, they sound exactly the same.
    Sorry don't know about the other speakers you mentioned, maybe someone else does.
  3. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

Aug 27, 2002
    The NSP1 and NSP1II speakers have the same performance. JBL had to redesign the speaker as the result of a lawsuit (hence the greatly discounted prices).