Onkyo v.s Harman Kardon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChevCaprice, Nov 29, 2001.

1. ChevCaprice

ChevCaprice Auditioning

I recently purchased a new big screen TV and I am now looking for the audio system to go with it, but I am torn between the Onkyo 696 and the Harman Kardon AVR520. My speakers will probably be Polks (rt35i's front, cs245i center, rt15i's rear, and pws350 sub).

1) What opinions do you have of these receivers? Which brand is generally considered better? Do you suggest any other receivers in this price range?

2) The opinion of Polks seems to be split 50/50 on this board. What do you think of this speaker combination? Is there any thing better out there for the same price or cheaper? If so what?

I have been looking at getting a surround sound system for the past 5 years, and I am now finally taking the plunge, please help me!

2. john waring

john waring Agent

Hey Chev, I just purchased a Harmon Kardon AVR510.It is discontinued now. So far I am very happy with it .I would recommend the Harmon Karmon 520 as it is basically the same machine.Good Luck.

3. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

Hey Chev, welcome aboard! I'm pretty new as well for the same reason. I was first looking at the Polk speakers, but after a few months of reviews, have decided against them. (I also went and demo'd them at CC) I am now almost 100% sure that I will be buying the Series III package from Hometheatredirect.com. (HTD) You can do a search on this board and see a few posts. I've read Great thing about this package. (I was going to get the RT600i towers, RT25's, CS245, and a Sony SA40 Subwoofer.) But for a little more money, decided to go with the HTD's.
    And I'm also going with the Onkyo DS595, or "maybe" a factory reconditioned 696 for what the 595 costs.
    Good luck,
    Paul[​IMG]

4. PaulCK

PaulCK Auditioning

When I used to work at CC we would send HK's to the repair shop hand over fist. In 9 months we sent out 2 Onkyo's.

5. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Hi Chev...Welcome to the fourm.I auditioned the Onkyo 696 several times over a year and was comparing it to the Denon 3801 (now 3802) and the H/K 510 (now 520).Quite comparable actually with the nod going to the Denon.However,I did purchase the H/K due to the price and have been very happy with it.It is a high current receiver so I had to become accustomed to the slightly higher operating temperature than I was use to.As for the Onkyo,I was all set to purchase this after a great deal of research(almost a year)Two things turned me off however.One was the sales manager for Onkyo Canada.He was absolutely no help to me with my questions and I am still waiting for the package that he said he would send.Two,an issue of Sound and Vision mag was less than kind on its test of the 696.Before purchasing check out the S & V website...I think its in the archives section for their test.Good luck with your purchase...

6. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

Oh lord, not the "infamous" S&V 696 tests!!!! You're opening a can o' worm!! [​IMG] Unless I'm confused and the "infamous" tests were actually from another publication.

7. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Yes the "infamous" S&V test.Whether they had a defective unit on their hands or not,it caused me in part,to make my buying decision.Don't get me wrong though...I had Onkyo before and throughly enjoyed their products but I figure that anybody shelling out that kind of money should be well informed before they go ahead and buy.Isn't that what this forum is about??Anyway,if John Waring is reading this,I see that you live in Montreal (the home of the best hockey team in North America)can you tell me who sells Definitive Technology speakers in the city?Websites??

8. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I don't know what your budget for speakers is, but I just put together a HT for a friend, and we got Ascend for speakers:

3 of the CBM-170 across the front and a pair of HTM's for the rears.

Plus a Hsu VTF-2 sub.

All for around $1100.

It absolutely *rocks*.

I've had Polk, and they're great speakers, but their 350 sub will be outdone by the Hsu, no doubt.

9. ChevCaprice

ChevCaprice Auditioning

Just so I know, does the HK 520 component inputs support all the digital resolutions like 480i, 720, 1080i and all that. I know that it says they are HDTV ready, but does that mean it supports all these formats?

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I would go with the HK-520,as a matter affect,I'll buy one myself,replacing the Denon AVR-3801.

The component video inputs can handle up to 35mhz,so yes it can do 1080i.

11. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Hi "Chev"
    I have the 696 and it is awesome, having no problems pushing whatever I throw at it. Even the S&V article recommended it and , in their recent Reviewer's Year End Picks, Daniel Kumin recommended it again. Couldn't have been too horrible [​IMG]
    As far as the Polks - I like 'em! But drop that hideous 245i, as it doesn't have the 6" woofs the 35i's do. Also, when you upgrade the mains later, you'll be happy you matched completely now.
    Good Luck and let us know what you do!
    Matt