What's new

Onkyo Universal 6-Disc player. (1 Viewer)

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Do a search. Bob has one, and did a mini-review of it last week. He said it had a great sound (typical of Onkyo).

For SACD/DVDA, speaker levels are adjustable, but not speaker distances (distances are adjustable for low-rez only). Crossover is either "large" or "small". I have seen no info on what the crossover actually is, nor what slope it is using. Might have to wait for a "pro" review on that one.

The manual is now online at onkyousa.com

Bob_Hitson

Agent
Real Name
Bob
I picked one up from OneCall almost two weeks ago. I can say that I like it a lot.

The sound is excellent! I've been using the 6-channel output for all audio sources (The 6-channel output even provides bass management for redbook and outputs to the sub).

Layer change is good, the mechanism is quiet (for a changer), and my wife and I both think the picture looks good. It does have a time remaining display, search functions, random playback and a screensaver.

I haven't been able to find out what the cross-over points are for large vs. small speakers for PCM, DVD-A and SACD. All speakers can be set to either small or large.

All the manual says is that if your speaker woofers are at least 6.5" they can be set to large, but that is definately not authorative or informative. I haven't gotten a satisfactory answer from Onkyo regarding the cross-over.

Hope this helps!

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Its odd how little press this player has gotten. Ive noticed that Bob has posted the info on a lot of other forums, with very little feedback. I guess Onkyo is the "sleeper" brand now (I think Onkyo is better than Denon and Yamaha - which seems to be the "flavor of the month" lately). Onkyo's flagship DVD also looks like the king of all (but with little fan-fare).

Funny thing is that people are still interested in those Toshiba changers even though they have been nothing but problems (didnt they pull some models off the market).

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
That is surprising to hear how little press this has gotten. I remember hearing everyone say, ohh man when there is a 5/6 disc univeral player available I am all over it.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Simple reason: The Onkyo is $300 more. Money is a big thing to alot of folks. Some are just cheapskates, some just can't afford it(now atleast).

I'm waiting on this model. I suspect Denon will come out with one and I know of their performance record. Onkyo's past doesn't show a very solid track record if you analyze the results of the hometheaterhifi shootout results. Still things can change.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Those players rated by Secrets were the players that were based on Pioneer internals. That said however, I will agree that Onkyo is not known for their video applications. I was refering more to their "audio" performance (as I was thinking about receivers and [audio] players).

I didnt know those Toshiba changers were only going for $150. Gee, that explains a lot. How can you possibly expect a decent quality universal 5/6-disc changer for that amount. Or even twice that.

Yeah, looking to see how the $400 Yamaha or the $700 Denon turns out. Theyre not changers, though.

Steve Bogo

Auditioning
I have 'preordered' this from J&R. This seems like an excellent player, and I have never had any problem with Onkyo.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
If Onkyo would have added DCDi video or at least the Genesis chipset used in the Denon's, they would have gotten much more attention.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
This Onkyo player looks pretty sweet! 6 discs, universal; it's pretty much everything I've been looking for to upgrade to. The only killer for me is the $449 price tag, I don't think I have ever paid that much for gear. Than again most of my gear is on a college student's budget:) .

At any rate I think I'll be joining the group of people waiting for this player. Hopefully that $449 price tag ensures it works good; hopefully better than those flawed Toshiba models.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I am betting this player uses the SP800 internals for the most part. If that is the case, it will be an excellent audio player for SACD, DVD-A and CD. For people who buy this machine, be sure to compare its 480i picture to the 480p picture. My SP800 looks better using the 480i and letting the Pioneer RPTV do the progressive scanning.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

That would not be my guess. The sp800 was based on that standard pioneer reference design (45?) that everyone else also used (yamaha 2300, etc).

I would guess that its based on the new Integra changer plus maybe a few leftovers from the 702 changer.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Rob so you think Onkyo/Integra are now using their own solutions for DVD-V, DVD-A and SACD? I was just speculating but you didn't provide any information to the contrary that they are not still using the Pioneer based product. I bet they are still Pioneer based. Even Integra's previous universal was a souped up SP800. And I am not saying the Pioneer is a bad base as it was one of the more reliable plateforms.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
No, I have nothing to back that up.

I like the [elite] pioneers. Especially their video sections. Audio is good also. BM on the 45 clones (sp800) is pathetic however.

I just feel that Onkyo is able to put together their own audio solution. Their sp1000 looks to be the ultimate, and I dont see where they speced that to anyone.

Of course, BM isnt that good on this changer either. Im definately hopeing for something better to come out.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I'm gonna have to see if I can find one locally to check out. At the very least it might work for my 2 channel audio only rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks