What's new

Onkyo TXNR801 Setup (1 Viewer)

So I got it yesterday, and bought new 14g cable (They did not have 12 at my home depot) and got it all hooked up. And I am very very very happy, I do not have the ethernet hookup yet, but that will come.

I have set up audio at this time, LARGE up front (no sub yet 2 weeks) and small everything else, no sub. I have Infinity Overture 2's on m R/L with 6.5 inch 150 watt subs inside, so large works till I get the sub.

The questions I have is my R/L and center are set to -10DB and the Surrounds (only 2 at this time) are set to -4. (Calibrated with an SPL meter) I am listening to DVD's at about 80. Should I be raising my settings and lowering my master volume?

Also is setting speaker distance important, I have never really heard anyone say much about distance...so I have not done it at this time. Do you actually measure each speaker for your main listening location and then set it as such within the receiver? What does this do?

I have listened using THX:EX and DD and DTS:EX PLII on the TV, and game cube, and everything sounds great, can not wait for the sub, it is amazing how much of an upgrade this is from my old piece of crap...

Any other owners have any suggestions on things to set up, turn off, try? There is a lot to this receiver and I am sure I have not gotten everything set up, but I am getting there.

DVD's listened to.
Matrix Reloaded (Opening Scene)
Blue Crush (Chapter 2 on disk)
Fifth Element (Opera Scene)
and all sound great, will be listening to more tonight...

and when I get my SVS PC16-46+
I will open my new Jurassic Park (Still in plastic) Wo0t!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I would say yes.........set the speaker distances in the setup. I'll bet you have heard it mentioned, and didn't realize it. :)

When people have mentioned setting the delay..........they're talking about the speaker distance. Some call it one, and some call it the other. It can figure in on how good the sound is in movies, moreso than music.

Glad you're enjoying your new stuff............the sub will make a big difference. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.