1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Onkyo TXDS989 vs HK AVR8000...??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RyanAlexander, Jul 24, 2002.

1. RyanAlexander

RyanAlexander Auditioning

I hope this question wasn't repeated already. I used the search function first and I had a difficult time finding what I was looking for. This isn't just a thread to get attention by comparing two amps, in fact all I know is what is listed on the two manufacturer websites and some of it doesn't make any sense to me. I was hoping that some of you gurus out there could tell me the real difference between these and which is a better buy. It has to be one of these two so please don't trail off about other brands. I don't care about the price difference between the two, I just want the one that is better, obviously.

I plan on hooking the receiver up to an entire Polk CSI surround system or possibly Infinity Interrezmo surround system. Either way is pretty beefy speaks so they'll need the juice... I think. Any help between personal experiences and lowdown tech info that I don't know about would be greatly appreciated. I am also happy to read other threads of this previous topic if anybody can dig em up for me. Thanks again...

Ryan

2. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

I would go with the onkyo 989. It is a futureproof reciever, and will be able to be upgraded to any new formats. Their is now the 989ver2 which is upgraded to THX Ultra2 and the new DTS 96/24 decoder. It's got a ton of inputs, good power and a nice remote. The H/K piece is also very good. Great power output, if you want to run 7.1 though you will have to add a separte amp for the back channels. Which polk pack are you looking at. The LSi? I've herd the bookshelves, and matching surround pack and am impressed with it so far. Overall i like the upgradeablity of the onkyo, you don't want to put down that much money and have some new processing format come out next year and not be able to upgrade.

3. RyanAlexander

RyanAlexander Auditioning

Oops, ya... I meant the Polk LSi setup. With the powered 10's in the towers and dual 5.25"/dual tweet surrounds. I didn't know that HK's second zone was unpowered though? Thanks for the input, very much appreciated

4. Todd_Petersen

Todd_Petersen Stunt Coordinator

You must work at CC, I have those same questions ponder in my head as well.

5. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

6. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I don't have a problem with fan noise on my 989. I bought it almost 2 years ago.

7. Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams Stunt Coordinator

I just bought an Integra 9.1U2 (same as the Onkyo 989), and am REALLY impressed with it. It's powerful, flexible, and upgradeable. It's easy to set up and sounds fantastic. From what I understand, the fan noise issue was resolved about 1 1/2 years ago. It's a great piece of gear.

8. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor