What's new

Onkyo TXDS898: Questions for Onkyo owners. (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I am leaning heavily toward getting the Onkyo TXDS898, but I have a few questions about how this receiver handles video and audio switching.

First of all, what exactly is component video switching? Is it the ability of the receiver to switch between 2 component video sources while using a single output to the TV?

Second,for those of you who have this receiver(or other Onkyo receivers with similar features), how does the 7.1 channel surround work? Let's say I am watching a 5.1 source, will my rear surround come from the "side surrounds" or the "back surrounds"? Can you have the receiver set to always play matrixed sound from the back surrounds?

Third, how is the remote? Is it a learning remote? Can it perform recorded commands?

Finally, if you have this receiver and love it, can you mention what specifically you like about it? If you got a good deal on it, please share your secrets. I am going to try to make a deal at a local dealer, but I am afraid I'll end up getting it online.

Corey W

Agent
Well i can only anwser 2 of your questions since mine is not here until Monday. Component video switching is exactly what you said.
I did a lot of research when i finally decided on the 898. If you are looking for a good deal give www.jandr.com a call and talk to Todd at x1039. I got mine for $1075 +S&H, total was $1107.
They double box them and the units are brandnew. They are also an Onkyo Authorized E-Tailer so you dont have to worry about Warranty problems.
Corey W

Eric A

Second Unit
Chris,

You will not be unhappy with the 898. I love mine and traded up from a Denon 3801. The Onkyo is a cleaner more powerful sound. Some call it analytical but I call it clean. Features and set up are the most user friendly I have run across. I got mine from Onecall for $1089 plus shipping for a total of $1135. You can also try The Sound Seller at 8008260520. They are both authorized dealers and I have purchased from them and can recommend them.

As for the componenet switching it gives you true HDTV compatibility with 2 sources in 1 source out. It will not do onscreen display through them though.

You can set up the surrounds to play all 4 rear speakers on 5.1 with the same output or you can set it to play a matrixed output from the rears depending on the source. DPL II will only play the same signal from all 4 rears. Dts Neo will do a matrixed rear. DD can be set to work either way as can DTS ES. THX Surround EX can be set to auto detect or always on. I leave it to always on and use it as my matrix mode for DD. I leave DD in 5.1 mode and have DTS in auto detect. This way I feel I will get most DVDs sounding the way they were intended.

As for the remote, I like it. It is learning and I have everything programmed into it (Sony DSS, Mits VCR, Toshiba DVD, Toshiba TV). It will do macros. It has a great thumbpad in the center which is its best feature. I only wish it had an LCD and better backlighting.

I hope this helps.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Just called jandr.com and spoke with Andrew. I first called Todd's extension and got no answer. Andrew told me that Todd had just quit, and even offered me his manager on the phone to verify it. Pverall, it was a good shopping experience.
Anyway, I ordered the DS898 for $1100 plus $32 shipping. Not too shabby. I also got the JBLPB12 Sub for $299 including shipping. Not a bad deal either. www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com had the PB12 on sale for $249, but with shipping it came out to about the same price.
I am looking forward to hooking these bad boys up. In the past year, my HT has undergone a complete metamorphasis - from a 3 year old Pioneer Pro-logic HTB to a Kenwood DD & DTS HTB, and now to a full-blown respectable HT. By no means am I approaching audio/video-phile status, but it's nice to be a little closer to the full system I want. I may even feel bold enough to put my system specs in my HTF signature. Now, all I have to do is replace my rear surrounds with some decent speakers and I'll be all set. (For a while, anyway. I am hoping that this purchase can vaccinate me against upgrade-itis for a while.)
BTW, if anyone else has something to share about the TX-DS898, please do. Nearly all of what I've read about it has been good. I went to CC and listened to a DS797, the 898's younger brother, and I was impressed at the sound and its array of features.
Most of all, I'm looking forward to replacing my Kenwood VR-407 and my Kenwood 8" sub, and hearing my wife say the magic words: "Wow, that is better!"

Corey W

Agent
Wow im glad i ordered when i did. Was able to get them down to $1075 +$32 for shipping. Mine was delivered this morning and in excellent condition.

They Double boxed it and had Air pillow type things in the box to keep it from moving all over the place. The box was huge as well so it is packaged pretty good.

As for hooking it up etc that wont happen for a few weeks as i need to re-arrange my basement and set up my speakers etc. The 898 is definatly a thing of beauty though.

Enjoy it!

Corey W

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks