What's new

Onkyo TX989 and Dolby Prologic 2 (1 Viewer)

Dan M

Second Unit
A few months ago I had my 989 upgraded with DTS EX and Dolby ProLogic II.

Everything seemed to work fine but here lately whenever I watch something in ProLgic II, I get center channel (dialogue) information bleeding over into the rears from time to time.

It doesn't happen consistently, purely random. At first I thought maybe it was a software issue but now it seems to be a problem with anything that's 2.0 surround. I no longer have standard ProLogic anymore once I had the amp upgraded.

ProLogic II Music mode seems to be working ok, at least the last time I used it.

Anyone else have a problem like this?

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Personally, I prefer to use music mode for prologic movies, so you might want to try that. Also, does your receiver allow for DPL-2 adjustments? Perhaps there is a "width" control which is set too wide, therefore causing the bleeding?

Dan M

Second Unit
It only has settings for PL2 Music Mode.

It has Panarama which can be set to On/Off

Center Width which has a default of setting of 3

Dimension which has a default setting of 3 also

It offers no settings for Movie Mode.

Interesting

Doug Wal

Auditioning
Awhile ago I had a problem with my rear speakers on

the Onkyo 989. I had it repaired and they had to

replace the entire computer board. Now it works

great.

However, I have not done the upgrade.

Is it worth doing the upgrade?

Dan M

Second Unit
Doug,

The upgrade is a worthwhile investment if you are interested in DTS ES surround primarily. It also comes with DTS Neo6 as well as Dolby Prologic II.

Prologic II is indeed better than standard Prologic. Especially for music. Although I still find 2 channel stereo the best way to go when it comes to music.

The upgrade cost around $50 for the software and cable.

I'm just a little miffed as to why I'm getting center channel sound bleeding over into my rear channels when watching movies. This is not upgrade in my opinion. I consider this a step backwards!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks