What's new

Onkyo TX-SR875, good unit or should I keep reviewing? (1 Viewer)

thrca

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I have been reviewing receivers for the past several weeks, and believe I have my selection finalized on the Onkyo SR875. Does anyone have experience with this receiver?

I will be running the unit in a dedicated 16x20 HT with a full set of Acoustic Research Hi-Res series (AR1 main, AR2C center, AR15 surround, AR17 surround).

Its in my price range at $1k-$2k, and has sufficient inputs and outputs to meet my needs. Initially, I will be upconverting multiple sources (Popcorn Hour, Vista MCE, PS3, and SD-DVD) and displaying them on a 60" Philips 1080p DLP until I have made a projector decision.

I am not terribly concerned with heat, as I will be installing it in a climate controlled cabinet with several networking and digital storage components.

Does anyone have any comparable receivers that I can add to my list to evaluate and review?

Tralis

Grip
Real Name
Dab Brill
I have an 805. Its fantastic, thus far I have been impressed in nearly every catagory. Its an 875 with less video processing and 10 fewer watts in the amplifier. Even with Dolby Digital or 44.1 PCM it sounds jaw-droppingly incredible, probably thanks to the 196Khz Burr-Browns and WRAT. I don't think you could go wrong with an 875 in any respect.

robert bartsch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
robert bartsch
Onkyo sr805 set-up is a nighmare - very poor manual and controls are not intuitive. However, once you get it pumping sound it is a solid performer with clean sound.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
You might want to consider a Onkyo TX-NR905 for a little more, MSRP is $2,099. Most of the specifications are the same but the 905 also has a toraoidal transformer plus 2 separate transformers for Audio & Video processing and the 875 does not. The 905 also features ethernet and HD Radio while the 875 does not. The 875 delivers 65A of current and the 905 delivers 70A of current. Otherwise they both rated 140 watts X 7 at 8 ohms and Amplifier Frequency Response 5 Hz–100 kHz/+1 dB, -3 dB (Direct mode).

Onkyo 875
Power (8ohms 20-20kHz 0.05%) /Ch 140W
Power (8ohms 1kHz 0.7%) /Ch 160W
Dynamic Power 320 W (3 ohms, 1 ch)
270 W (4 ohms, 1 ch)
160 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)
High Instantaneous Current Capability 65A
Frequency Response 5 Hz–100 kHz/+1 dB, -3 dB (Direct mode)
S/N Ratio (LINE IN) 110dB
DACs S/N Ratio 126dB
DOLBY Decoder DD Plus, TrueHD
DTS Decoder DTS-HD Master Audio
Audyssey MultEQ XT
Multi-Band Speaker EQ 7 Band
Component Video / Bandwidth 3 / 2 / 100MHz
HDMI I/O 4 / 1
HDMI Version V1.3 Repeater
Power Consumption 870W
Weight 50.9 lbs. (23.1 kg)
Warranty 2 YEARS

Onkyo 905
Power (8ohms 20-20kHz 0.05%) /Ch 140W
Power (8ohms 1kHz 0.7%) /Ch 170W
Dynamic Power 400 W (3 ohms, 1 ch)
300 W (4 ohms, 1 ch)
180 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)
High Instantaneous Current Capability 70A
Frequency Response 5 Hz–100 kHz/+1 dB, -3 dB (Direct mode)
S/N Ratio (LINE IN) 110dB
DACs S/N Ratio 126dB
DOLBY Decoder DD Plus, TrueHD
DTS Decoder DTS-HD Master Audio
Audyssey MultEQ XT
Multi-Band Speaker EQ 7 Band
Component Video / Bandwidth 3 / 2 / 100MHz
HDMI I/O 4 / 2
HDMI Version V1.3 Repeater
Power Consumption 1000W
Weight 54 lbs. (24.5 kg)
Warranty 2 YEARS

If you buy a factory refurbished 905 you can get it alot cheaper if you want to go that route? Under $1,400 at accessories4less

Hope this helps?

thrca

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for the great feedback.. I am going to think about going to the 905. I have a little time before I need to get it anyways, so I will do a little research. The HD-Radio is a welcome feature, even though Im not sure that there is many stations in my area broadcasting it.

thrca

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Anyone using HD-Radio that can comment on the range? I understand how the technology works, so I am curious if the range is about the same as the analog, better, or worse.. There is a handful of HD-R stations in Grand Rapids, which I can usually pick up their analog broadcasts. I am pretty much at the edge of their analog coverage area.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have no idea but if I pick up the Onkyo TX-NR905 I will find out. I hope they start offering more HD radio here in Phoenix.

# of HD stations in thoose markets.
Los Angeles: 12
Phoenix: 8
Las Vegas: 8
Dallas/Ft Worth: 12
Denver/Boulder: 11
Salt Lake City/Ogden: 11
Portland: 12
Grand Rapids: 8

I would love to know what the range of the HD radio signals are as well. Hopefully around the end of the year I will be able to check out HD radio. It is not something I would listen to alot but it would be nice to have.

thrca

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
The one thing I DO know about the format is that its like comparing analog TV to digital TV.. You will have a near perfect signal until the interference is enough to add enough errors so as to not be able to process it at all. In other words, you wont get fuzzy sound for a few miles, then really fuzzy, then nothing but fuzz, it either will be fine or not at all.

But this doesnt really answer my curiosity where the signal breakup point is, whether its at the "analog fuzzy", "analog really fuzzy" or beyond area.

Plagerized from CrutchfieldQ: Is the coverage area of my station's HD Radio signal identical to that of their current signal?
A: Although the coverage area will be similar, there can be areas where only the analog signal can be heard, and conversely, areas where only the HD Radio digital signal can be tuned in. Because terrain obstacles affect analog and digital signals in slightly different ways, there's no sure-fire way to predict reception, especially on the outskirts of a station's coverage area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnymax
Recent bookmarks