Onkyo TX SR800 good deal?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChrisMcK, Dec 16, 2003.

1. ChrisMcK

ChrisMcK Stunt Coordinator

As a long time lurker i've received lots of good info from you guys on this formum. I have the opportunity to purchase the Onkyo TX SR800 for $799 with an additional 10% discount [regularly $999]. I am currently running a 5.1 set up with cambridge soundworks Newton Series speakers [MC 300's L,C,R and MC 200's as surrounds]. I would eventually like to go to a 6.1 set up and who knows, maybe 7.1 in the future. I've looked at the features in this model and it looks like i would be fairly set [furure proof] as far as receivers go for a while with this model. I would be interested to hear any opinions on this model and whether or not any of the forum members would recommend it.

I am also looking at the marantz SR 6400 for $699 and the marantz SR7400 for $899 I also receive a 10% discount on these as well

Thanks

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The SR800 will provide more power than the 7400, and is actually a pretty good deal at that price. I just recommended that deal to a friend of mine who is looking for a receiver, a few days ago. I have heard this unit, and it sounds quite good. I have not heard the 7400 yet, but the 7300 was very clean with music (big fan of Marantz here [​IMG] ), and will be more than enough power for those speakers.

3. ChrisMcK

Just bumping because I'm auditioning these receivers this weekend and would like other members input
    Thannks

4. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

You can get the 801 for 799 from onecall.com. Probably worth the 80 dollars to get the newer version.

5. ChrisMcK

i will be auditioning this at cambridge soundworks whee it is also 799 plus a 10%discount - sounds like a good deal

6. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Chris,

I said that the 801 can be had at onecall for 799. You should look and see if any of the upgrades make an 80 dollar difference to you. Otherwise, I'd say it is a good deal.