What's new

Onkyo TX-SR800: Best online price? (1 Viewer)

shivas7

Auditioning
Todd, I don't know if Elegant is authorized, but BestPrice Audio and Video is, and their price is very close to what you posted...check it out...

nik k

Agent
The lowest i have found is $795.00. I am currently looking to get one to upgrade from my sr600. Any good/bad you heard on this receiver? I posted a question earlier on this subject and got a reply saying onkyo over rates their power ratings but not much else. Isn't THX EX work as a 6.1? if so, how does this work with 7.1? Are the two rear extras matrix together? Also how does this affect dts-es discrete? thanks

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking of upgrading my Onkyo600 as well. I was considering a Denon equivalent. Does the 800 have the same 'power handling' issues that the previous models had?

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I bought it from BPA&V and it arrived on Friday. Hooked it up on saturday and it works and sound terrific. A review may be forthcoming.

Julio Ortiz

Agent
Hi: I bought from elegantaudiovideo in December. $825 shipped to my door (Shipping to P.R is usually more than to the states)

It really sounds terrific. Never expected it to sound the way it does. Some reviews would be great.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
HomeTheaterForum had a special deal a few days ago (expired 1/31/03) for $689.88 plus shipping from an authorized source. Deal might come back if people are interested.

Tim Reed

Grip
Wow. I am actually looking at the Onkyo TX-SR800 AND was looking at both One Call (price off the site is 809 delivered) and Oade (815 delivered)last week - - but didn't stumble on the deal (from this site). Had I seen it, I would have pulled the trigger since that is a great price. If it comes back, I WILL go for it (assuming I don't miss it again - - I didn't know about the "deals" section).

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
How is everyone's TX-SR800?
Well, I've had mine for just over 3 months now. I had a blast setting it up, calibrating it and playing with all the settings. :D
I love the remote. I programmed it to operate my magnavox vcr, sony dvd player and television. It won't, however, operate my old kenwood 5 disc cd player. Programming the remote was quite easy, but a little time consuming and tedious. I'm glad I stuck with it and programmed all of my other pieces of equipment, though. No more fumbling around for remotes. I had a Sony flipface remote from my previous receiver that was a pain to use. The backlight was aweful to get to. You had to press several buttons while navigating a menu to turn the backlight on. How are you supposed to do that in the dark when you need the backlight? :frowning: The Onkyo remote has a light button on the upper right corner of the remote that is easy to get to.
Yes, the receiver did sound a little harsh to begin with. Most people that have demoed or own this receiver would agree with me. I went through that with my previous receiver; a Sony 5.1 935 series. It was incredibly harsh and brittle sounding compared to my Kenwood surround sound reciever. Anyway, the Onkyo has warmed up some and is sounding very nice. This may be due to my ears getting used to the sound of it.
So, I love it and am glad I bought it!
:emoji_thumbsup: :)

Bill Kolp

Grip
I have had the Onkyo TX-SR800 since January and connected it to an older set Kenwood speakers. The speakers sound the same as they did with my Kenwood Amplifier.

I have ordered the Axiom M80ti, VP-150, QS8, and M3ti system and should get it this week. The Onkyo will also drive a SVS PB1-ISD Sub to fill out the 7.1 setup. I think it will all workout great.

There is a recent review of the Onkyo 800 but I can't remember where I saw it. Bottom line: it was a great deal even at $1000.

Earl_Ba

Auditioning
Check out Onkyo's website.
Www.shoponkyo.com
You can buy a refurbished sr800 at a great price and get free shipping as well.
Just for buying from their site you get $10 off you first order and i believe you get Onkyo points towards your second purchase.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Is the refurbished one still available from ShopOnkyo.com? It's available refurbished from the HTF deals page for $617.52 shipped.

Tuan Le

Agent
Just want to let you guys know, I just bought the TX-SR800 at onecall.com for $712 shipped (ask for Michael). That is the best price I've found so far. Additionally, onecall.com is an authorized dealer for Onkyo. :emoji_thumbsup:
The unit is scheduled for delivery this Friday. I will report back after few days of usage.
Cheers
-Tuan

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
You know, for the last 5 months I've had a task in my Palm/Outlook to write down all of my receiver settings; I've kept putting it off. Well, the hurricane swept through last week and knocked out the electricity for the past six days. I went to turn on my 800 to listen to the radio and realization set in...I have to reprogram the whole box! :angry: Oh, well. Excuse to demo some of my favorites! ;)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Todd,
Looks like you live in the wrong section of FFX County. Here in western FFX, the power was fine for me .. but out just a few miles away.
Good luck getting your 800 set back up. :)

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne Ernst,

I'm down in the SE edge of FFX Co. in a apt. complex off of a tertiary road. I had to throw everything in my fridge/freezer out and restock; spent $140 and my fridge still looks bare! Oh, well.

It didn't take too long to calibrate/set-up the 800. When quicker than the first time now that I know how to use it and understand what all of the menu options do. The menus are so deep and large that it's a shame manufacturers can't design the receivers to have the setting stored on a ROM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks