What's new

Onkyo TX-Sr705 set up (1 Viewer)

mburmeister

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR705 and I got a PS3 for xmas from my wife. Constant nagging for three months will get you somewhere. I was setting it up and the image is amazing on my Sony 50" 1080P LCD, however, I am still struggling with the audio set up. I have seen multiple threads with so much information I am uncertain what I need to do. I need to verify that I have my HDMI Audio out set to "off". Does that affect the sound to my tv through my digital cable provider? Also, how does it show up that I am using True HD? I saw I also need to download the DSP update tonight as well. Is there anything that I am missing? I need some direction please? Thanks to anyone who can help!~

Brent_S

Second Unit
You won't see TrueHD/DTS-HD on the 705. The PS3 will decode those codecs internally and output as MPCM. The 705's indicator will show PCM and the default listening mode will be MultiChannel if you don't apply DPLIIx/THX/Stadium/etc. to it. You'll also need to make sure you select the lossless track on the movie's menu...they don't always default to lossless.

I don't have a PS3, but you'll need to configure it to decode and output MCPM for the lossless tracks. I believe you can also set it to bitstream regular DD/DTS to the 705 so the 705 will do the full decoding.

Not sure what you mean by effect the sound to your TV. You set HDMI Audio = Off in the 705 to allow it to process all audio. If it's set to On, it'll pass the audio to the TV, defeating the purpose of having the 705 and associated 5.1/7.1 speaker system. With the receiver turned off, nothing passes through to the TV, you'll need a separate connection from the cable box to the TV if that's how you prefer to watch cabel programing.

-Brent

mburmeister

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
It sounds as though I need to verify that the PS3 is set to PCM, not bitstream to allow the PS3 to do the decoding for me for one. Then I can verify what my Onkyo will show up on the screen from there. I only have two movies so far, The Dark Knight and Transformers, and will need to verify that they have the option for loseless tracks.
In regards to the TV sound I just meant that in my Onkyo I have an HDMI input from my cable box, and was wondering if I turn the HDMI audio option to off, does that affect that sound at all? I think I get the understanding that it will not since I never use my television speakers at all.
I think I will need to try a few of these options and see what happens...
Thanks so much. I almost wish I could have someone standing there while I try to do this tonight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks