Onkyo TX-SR703 OR Yamaha RX-V659

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Daniel K, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Daniel K

Daniel K Extra

*I Meant The TX-SR603 Not 703*

I am looking to get a new HT receiver, right now I only have stereo (Onkyo TX-8511). The problem is all my speakers are 4 ohms, I measured them with my DMM. I have Cerwin Vega LS-12s for fronts, LS-6C center and LS-8 backs so I would be running in 5.1 mode. I want to be 100% sure that the receiver will take that load without going into protect mode. I have had this issue a few years back and that is why I got stuck with stereo, the TX-8511 was the only thing I could find that would push the Vegas without going into protect. I am leaning more towards the SR603 just because I love Onkyo. Also, does the Onkyo have a music mode so I can play music through all the 5 speakers without any effects? Finally, is the only difference in the Onkyo 603 and 703 THX certification and the faceplate? Does that really mean much because the 703 is a heck of a lot more expensive. Thanks

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I would go with your first instinct on this. I have had problems with the protect ciruits on Yamaha receivers. I have an Onkyo and have no quarrels with it, and I have demanding speakers. If it serves your application you might consider some form of cooling device. I am using two 3" fans on my receiver to keep it cool. Keeping your output transistors cool in your amplifier section of the receiver allows you to get more power from them without clipping (i.e. amplifier distortion). The protect circuits are designed to prevent overheating and other damage to the output stages of an amplifier. So you keep it cool you can play louder with less distortion.

You can get these fans for DC or AC. The DC fans are generally quieter, cheaper and more effective moving air. If you get a DC fan you need a power source (which in effect could be more expensive than a AC fan unless you have an adequate power source around). Most 3" fans use 12 volts and range in the area of .12-.18 amps or 12o-180 milliamps. You will want a power supply (i.e. AC-DC adapter from an old phone charger or similar apliance) with 12 volts or maybe slightly less if you don't want to run the fan at its fastest speed and more or the same amperage the fan calls for. The reason for more is it the amperage is to low the transformer has to work to hard to get the amperage to what the fan wants to use and eventually fry the transformer. If the amperage is over the required amount of the fan the transformer's job is very easy and the fan will only take what it needs. So the DON'TS

Don't use a transformer with a higher voltage than that of the fan, it will try to spin to fast and fry.

Don't use a transformer with less amperage than the fan needs, fries the transformer.

Don't short wires, dead fan or transformer (or dead house if it shorts will you are away from home.

The fan idea is just something that will help reduce the protect circuit trips and increasing your power. If you do use a fan, you can used the switched outlet on the rear of the receiver to turn it on and off in conjunction with reciever being on or off.

hope this helps,

Seth=L

3. Daniel K

Daniel K Extra

Yup, I always do that. I am an electronics technician so I have a healthy supply of fans, XFRMs, etc.

I know the 703 says 4 ohm stable but the 603 says 6 ohm (from what I can tell). I tried downloading the manual but it didn't display properly. Said something about needing a japan ____ that was not available.

So, I think I will go with Onkyo but...
    does Oknyo have that mode for music I was asking about?
    differences of the 603 and 703 worth the extra money?

Thanks

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'm pretty sure my 703 has a 5 or 7 channel mode that does what you're asking.

5. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

In responce to: does Oknyo have that mode for music I was asking about?

Yes it is called all channel stereo. It will use all speakers you have set to on and the subwoofer if it is set to on, I am not sure if you have one.

Seth=L

6. Daniel K

Daniel K Extra

Ok, looks like I would need to get the TX-SR603X because of money restraints. Is anyone 100% sure if it will or will not drive my speakers without going into protect mode?

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Daniel check your PM's.

8. Daniel K

Daniel K Extra

Has anyone bought a refurbished receiver from ubid.com before? It has a 1 year warranty through Onkyo. Thanks

9. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

Yep, two of them. Both in great shape and both still working like champs. With the manufacturer warranty, it's (almost) a no-brainer if you're interested... -TD