Onkyo TX-SR703 or JVC RX-DP10VBK?

djsHTnut

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
I was wondering if anybody has had experience with these two recievers. Based on what I want for performance and for price, $500 or less, I have narrowed it down to these two. Both are on sale and would be the same price. The onkyo is THX Select2 and the JVC is THX Ultra. The JVC was the Flagship model when it was produced, but from what I have been able to research it is from about 2002-2003, but nonetheless a great receiver. I am pretty sure the Onkyo is newer, but I am not sure if it uses any different technology as far as power goes than it did say back in 2002-2003. My main concern is Sound qaulity and power. I dont have HD and wont be getting it for at least 1-2 years. But power and Sound qaulity is very importnant to me. I currently have a Beta C360 center, JBL surrounds, and some floorstanding speakers a friend gave me. I plan on upgrading to Inifnity Beta speakers to macth my center.

Any reviews or opinion is appreciated!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The difference between THX Ultra and THX Select is significant, and mostly means the Ultra certified receiver has a good deal more power than the THX Select one, all things being equal. I don't think either receiver would dissapoint however. In the real world, the power difference should only really matter if you don't use a subwoofer and need to push lots of bass out of your mains. I personally have had extremely good experience with both Onkyo and JVC receivers, I'm still using a JVC stereo reciever that I bought in 1983 I think to power some in-ceiling speakers in my house. It works very well even today. I've had great experience with Onkyo as well, with various of their Integra home theaters over the years, including a DTR 7 currently.

djsHTnut

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
Thanks for the reply.

I have had experience with JVC. I used to own a JVC 8040, which I liked. I have never owned an Onkyo, so I am worried about buying one. The only time I have been able to hear an Onkyo is at a Circuit City, but they never have anything hooked up right, so you cant perform a proper evaluation. I also recently had a Yamaha HTR-5890 that was nice, which I would consider again. But the JVC is really tempting.

There are so many choices I want to scream!

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
After looking over the specs for that big ol' JVC, personally I would buy that one. Though I am a bit leary of that "Compression Compensative" digital-to-analog convertor it uses - it sounds like what Pioneer used to use i.e. their "Legato Link" DAC that is supposed to recreate certain frequencies missing from digital formats. Panasonic still uses their "Remaster" system which AFAIK does the same thing. Some people hear a difference & some don't.

I think the JVC looks better too.

And amplifier-wise, IMO 3 years isn't going to make any difference at all (hell guys that bought vintage gear report receivers that are 20-30 years old many times sound better than a new receiver). Same with the Dolby/DTS decoders and other fundamental features that can really make a difference in the sound.

djsHTnut

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
You can pick up the JVC at Vanns.com with a pair of free sonance speakers for $399, with free shipping!

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

I think you mean that "upsampling" feature, Lance. It's defeatable.

Personally, I would get it if I had the space....almost 19" deep and close to 50 lbs in weight!! Otherwise, I like JVC gear and I think these receivers didn't sell at all (despite being positively review in "The Perfect Vision") because they are "JVC". Not enough snob appeal.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo